Web design

General discussions and other topics.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by randyk7 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:26 pm
Seeing that I still struggle with my own personal web page I thought it appropriate that a web design topic page site be set up as per the old Usenet forum and feed. Just for reference I am using the oldest and simplest version of Adobe Pagemill 3.0 on the planet earth and oddly it still works with WIN-XP Pro. This allows me to keep it, well, simple for my photographic art web site which is in a state of ongoing redesign at this time i.e. http://www.brokenlight.com

I truly fear all web design software as it's so complicated on top of say Adobe CS-4 extended. That Adobe program alone can and will snap the best of us and has across time. One really has to go to school on line at Lynda.com and yet even then it's endless e.g. color management and more and Adobe and Windows have always had different gamma and thus all of my work can all be "off" when I set it through XP or any Windows browser after it's uploaded. So first things first, simplicity and Pagemill 3.0 Are there any programs that are just as simple ( even if they are outdated ) that will yield most of what is needed in HTML?

_R.
by virtualmike » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:36 pm
Several friends use Kompozer, which is free. It's from the same people as Firefox and Thunderbird.
by randyk7 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:09 pm
virtualmike wrote:Several friends use Kompozer, which is free. It's from the same people as Firefox and Thunderbird.
Mike;

Many thanks for this! I am having a very odd problem with installation ( and use ) of this software and can only 'Start' it by going to the extracted file folder and clicking on it's icon. It does *not* show up in my add remove folder and is not in my programs files either. Did I miss a turn in the road with the install or does it normally work this way e.g. odd and cryptic and somehow external to one's OS?

_R.
by virtualmike » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:30 pm
It sounds like you downloaded the zip archive version of Kompozer, Randy. That version works just as you described: it's not "installed" into the computer. That's the way PC programs used to work before Windows gave us a bunch of icons to click. :-)

If you want to use this legitimate version, you can create your own shortcut by following these steps:
1. Open the folder with the extracted files
2. RIGHT click and hold on the program icon
3. Drag the mouse to the place where you'd like the shortcut to be
4. Release the right mouse button and then left click on "create shortcut here"

If you want to move the files to another folder, such as under Program Files, you can do that before you take the steps above.

If you want to remove the program from your computer, simply delete the shortcut and the folder.

Kompozer has a version with an installer, lower on the Downloads page.

Personally, I prefer the software that doesn't require an installer and Add/Remove programs entry, as that type of software is much less invasive on the machine.
4 posts Page 1 of 1