Lots of Windsor Activity

General discussions and other topics.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by nostromo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:43 pm
I live in Windsor and I've been seeing Sonic trucks all over the place doing what appears to be laying down underground cable of some kind. Am I correct in assuming that Windsor may be getting fiber service soon? ...or is it something else?
by dane » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:55 pm
nostromo wrote:I live in Windsor and I've been seeing Sonic trucks all over the place doing what appears to be laying down underground cable of some kind. Am I correct in assuming that Windsor may be getting fiber service soon? ...or is it something else?
It’s something else. We are delivering dark fiber to all of the public schools in Windsor, which they’ll initially light at 10Gbps, enabling a much more connected learning environment. And because they’ll have dedicated dark fiber, they can increase the speed of their equipment to 20, 40, 100Gbps or beyond, as needed. It’s a great bit of dedicated infrastructure for the schools.

We have similar builds underway in Sebastopol, Petaluma and Santa Rosa. Each of these projects helps us build fiber further into these communities, supporting fiber to the premise projects now and in the future. And many of them interconnect via the backbone we built which serves SMART’s rail signaling system, from Northern Santa Rosa to San Rafael.

The more applications we can get onto the fiber network, enterprise businesses, municipal City/County facilities, schools, etc, the further the fiber builds go into these communities, facilitating residential projects too.

Most folks think of Sonic in the context of our residential focus, but there are a lot of other layers that we develop to make all of that possible.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by pallos » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:30 pm
I live in Sebastopol and had similar 'laying of sonic fiber' as confirmed by the people laying the cables. We were getting super hopeful that it meant we were getting fiber sometime soon, but if it's this 'dark fiber', then I'm going to come away super upset. It's not good business practice to put something darn near through someone's front yard (it literally has a box right next to our mailbox now) and then turn around and say "but it's not yours, you can't have it". Hopefully we're at least given the option to tap into it somehow? Otherwise it's like dangling a lollipop in front of a childs face and never letting them eat it. Uncool. Some clarification on this is certainly welcome.
by dane » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:34 pm
Our primary focus here at Sonic is solving the issue of fast and reliable broadband internet access for our members in their homes. This theme has been consistent for more than two decades, from unlimited dialup hours and the adoption of 56kbps dialup technologies, to "shotgun" dialup bonding, to DSL resale, and CLEC CO service deployment.

Our CLEC deployment of copper DSL services allowed significant innovation, including the use of ADSL2+ and VDSL2 technologies, delivery un-tiered and un-capped services, and pair bonding for doubled performance. We also innovated in voice services, delivering not just unlimited nationwide calling, but free calling to over sixty countries. Our CLEC network is also supporting and supported by business services, including Ethernet over copper, our FlexLink data and WAN products and voice services including Hosted PBX, PRI and SIP trunking.

We continue to innovate for consumers by deploying residential fiber, bringing gigabit symmetric access at low cost and with no residential usage limits. And we back the service up with our usual good policies (neutrality, privacy) and amazing customer service and care.

To your point, fiber deployment more than anything before requires us to find buyers of custom network capacity. These anchor tenants expand our fiber backbone network reach. Whether it is enterprise WAN or internet access, transit and rail, or access for students at schools, each of these projects helps the economics of expanding our fiber optic plant.

These builds then assist us in nearby residential expansion, by lowering the costs of building to the adjacent homes near where we've built for those anchor opportunities.

We remain steadfast in our mission, to connect our members with the fastest and most reliable broadband, and we have a growing infrastructure and set of construction capabilities to make that possible. We haven't connected everyone yet, but we are working toward that end as rapidly and intelligently as we can!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1