How do I archive my mailboxes?

General discussions and other topics.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by jneal » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:04 am
I'd like to backup/archive my Sonic mailboxes to my local drive. Is this possible?
by tikvah » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:16 am
Use any mail program application that uses POP (or another service Sonic supports). I just use Apple Mail. Once set up, it does it automatically every time I open Mail on my computer. You can even use filters to automatically sort into folders if you wish.

I don't know how it is on other computers and/or with other programs but, with Apple Mail, each email is saved as a file. They're hard to find and they tend to be sorted many layers deep into folders, but they're there and you can access them directly. If you sort into your own folders using the application, the individual files are easier to find.

You can save these files on backup disks, either manually or with backup software (Note: some backup software excludes mail files by default but most will allow you to mark them for backup).

Tip: After you've been using it for a week or so and are sure you have everything, set the application to automatically delete messages on Sonic's server after X amount of time (I use one month). This avoids the problem where you find yourself about to be charged for being over your disk space allotment and have to scramble to fix it before the deadline (it takes a couple steps to delete messages quickly as moving them to the trash will not instantly change your disk usage; you have to empty the trash too).
by virtualmike » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:55 pm
I personally recommend the Thunderbird mail client. The messages are saved in MBOX format, which can be imported into other mail programs. There is a file per mail FOLDER.

If set up Thunderbird to use IMAP, then it will automatically stay synchronized with your Sonic mailbox. However, you can also "archive" emails to keep them on your local computer and remove them from the server.
by jneal » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:05 pm
Thanks for the suggestions tikvah and virtrualmike:

I don't use a Mac so Apple Mail strategies won't work, but thanks for the suggestion.

I have about 11 years of emails that I must backup to avoid additional fees. To complicate matters I was using Eudora for a portion of that time years ago so some of it is local (on my disk) and some is on Sonic's server. I've gotten it all together on my local disk now by reinstalling the old Eudora application and importing all the mail but that mail folder can only be read by Eudora. I've been unsuccessful in exporting the Eudora mailboxes to Thunderbird, but then I read that I may have to install an older version of TB (v17) to get that feature. So that's where I'm at now.

In addition my wife has even more mail than me but she always used the web interface. Hopefully I can just use Thunderbird to get her old mail onto my local disk. She also has created a bunch of folders which I hope TB can handle.

I assume this might be the best method because the MBOX format will probably outlive Thunderbird so those mails can be read by some future email program.
by virtualmike » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:43 pm
Indeed, the MBOX format should live for quite a while, as it's a standard. For example, that's how mail spools are handled within Unix servers. The best part is the MBOX format is ASCII text, so you can read them with any text viewer or editor.

Many years ago, when I switched from Eudora to T-bird, I was able to move my MBOX files from Eudora to T-bird's folders and carry on.

For your wife's mail, just be sure to configure T-bird to use IMAP, so the folders will be copied to her computer.

In case it's not clear, once the mail has copied to your computer, you will need to move it to other folders in your mail program. If you use T-bird, you can create folders under "Local Folders." Those will not be mirrored on Sonic's servers.
by ajhaig@sonic.net » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:13 pm
Hi, I also need to download emails to offsite archive - I use Sonic web email interface -not too familiar with functioning of POP and IMAP so would appreciate explicit instructions if anyone has the time.
Thanks
by virtualmike » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:35 pm
To save some typing, I'd recommend a web search of "archive email with pop3 or imap".

You can find instructions how to configure a mail program on Sonic's support site (hint: type the name of your email program in the search box).

If you still have questions, then feel free to post specifics here and we'll try to help.
7 posts Page 1 of 1