Sonic in the LA Times

General discussions and other topics.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by cycloscott » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:44 pm
Nice article about Sonic, and other regional ISPs, and their battle with big telcos.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik ... story.html#

TL;DR version...
"ISPs such as Sonic serve as a check on big players that don’t care about customers. Is it any wonder the big buys want to stamp them out?"
by nwhitehorn » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:31 pm
As a former Sonic.net customer from the Bay Area who recently moved to LA, I was really excited when I saw this article. I hoped it might portend a service expansion down here; I would love to subscribe and would very happily recommend it to people I know. Unfortunately, half the COs in the LA area (from Frontier, ex-GTE areas), including where I live, have no service of any kind offered and there is no hint of any fiber deployment in the future. So I'm back with the cable company. Any chance of that changing on the horizon? Even DSL out of Frontier COs would be great.
by dane » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:35 am
No plans to expand our DSL service reach at this time. We see that technology as being "mature" at this point, and we're focusing all of our efforts on expanding fiber to the premise services. Today that's all in the SF Bay Area, but if we get good uptake, that will expand, so spread the word!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
3 posts Page 1 of 1