email management

General discussions and other topics.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by dukeofur » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:06 pm
I've been using IMAP for my email for a few years, and it seems my mail spool is full, and I don't know how to manage it. It's a subject that I just don't know much about. I don't really want to use POP because I use many machines, but mostly my phone.
I thought I wanted to keep my old mail in case I ever needed to reference it, but I find I don't ever need to do that past a few months. Can I set it to auto delete mail over a year old? How?

I saw something about AutoPop, but what is it? Would it be applicable to me?

Looking for solutions.
by miken » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:03 am
Support can actually delete mail you no longer need in an 'older than X number of days' format.

Autopop is something else and has to do with getting mail from different servers.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by dukeofur » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:47 am
Is there a way I can do it myself?

I've heard that in imap, when I delete things, they're not truly deleted, that I have to "empty trash" - how do I do that?
by virtualmike » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:51 pm
dukeofur wrote:I've heard that in imap, when I delete things, they're not truly deleted, that I have to "empty trash" - how do I do that?
Correct: the standard IMAP protocol marks items for deletion, but doesn't actually delete them until you take further action.

How to actually delete depends on your mail program. In Thunderbird, you can use the "Empty Trash" command after right-clicking on the trash folder. If the messages are still in the main folder, but they're marked as deleted, then right click on the folder and choose "Compact."

Other mail programs work similarly. You can do a web search for "<mail program name> imap expunge deleted messages".
4 posts Page 1 of 1