Eliminating spam with .procmailrc

General discussions and other topics.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by jumpersemporium » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:40 am
Would someone be able to advise me on how to setup a .procmailrc file, so that I can block spam from a pesty spammer? This needs to be done because the spammer is able to get around spam assassin, and uses spoofed IP address for transmitting their smut.

Dave
:roll:
by gp1628 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:06 am
Do you have procmail working?
http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~watrous/procmail-spam.html

After that it gets specific to something in the emails. Do you know how to see ALL of the headers of an email? There is usually some command in every email software to turn on viewing of all headers but its different for each program so you would have to mention what you are using. And possibly what operating system you are on
by jumpersemporium » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:27 am
I know how to view headers. I am using Win XP 32 bit.
by thulsa_doom » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:34 pm
The main trick with writing procmail recipes (after penetrating the syntax) is the following question: how do you positively identify these messages as being spam? Does the spammer use the same name or subject or some specific piece of content that certainly differentiates it from your legitimate mail?
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by jumpersemporium » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:41 pm
I have already isolated the original IP already associated with the spammer, but not sure how to set it up with .procmailrc
by gp1628 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:26 am
Hmm here is an answer I found but it seems complicated. Maybe someone knows a simpler one.
http://www.benya.com/procmail/#dnsbl
by kgc » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:51 pm
I think you're looking for something as simple as this. Not that you'll want to make sure you get the regex right, based on what you see in the headers.

Code: Select all

LOGFILE=procmail.log
VERBOSE=yes
:0
* \[10\.10\.10\.10\]
/dev/null
You'll probably want to turn off the logging when you are finished making sure things are working the way you want them too.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by jumpersemporium » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:04 pm
Thanks. I will try these out.
8 posts Page 1 of 1