VPN and my IP?

General discussions and other topics.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by dukeofurl » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:04 pm
Hello. I access Sonic off network because Fusion is not available in my town. My "Last Mile" is Comcast in Chico, CA.

I frequently sign in to the VPN for several days at a time. Today I had to restart, making signing back into the VPN after restart necessary. No big deal there. However I don't know what possessed me to google "My IP" after the VPN was "blah blah blah" but then it said it was comcast in Chico. Now, if I'm signed in to the VPN, shouldn't my IP be on Sonic? What's going on?
by miken » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:18 pm
Could be a few different things - cookies, other data cached in your browser, the VPN not having given an IP yet, etc. Disconnect and search google for your IP. Reconnect and do the same. If the IP changes, then you are good to go and surfing on the VPN. If the IP does not change, then let us know so we can do some further investigation.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by dukeofurl » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:48 pm
On a hunch, because of the way things were behaving, I uninstalled the OpenVPN client, and then reinstalled it, and that worked.

Now a new issue. When not connected to VPN, Google reports my IP as 2601:200:4200:30d0:c97c:cf39:25f1:ec67 - an IPv6 address, but then after I'm connected, it reports as 184.23.190.142 - and IPv4 address. Doesn't Sonic do IPv6? Then on the
Geolocation Info, it lists:
City: Winter Park
State: Florida
Postal Code: 32789
Time Zone: -04:00

Which definitely isn't right, I figured the VPN would be coming out of Santa Rosa, or San Francisco, but not Florida. Curious.

When I write this message on the forum and hit submit, it returns the following errors:
The username you entered is already in use, please select an alternative.
The confirmation code you entered was incorrect.
The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.

None of which is accurate. But I'll try again. Even more curious, why do I need to specify my username? How is it in use? If it's like last time, it will post, and then say something like "The message posted, but needs a moderator to approve" - Why?
by kgc » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:19 pm
The VPN service does not currently provide v6 connectivity.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by dukeofurl » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:48 pm
What about any of the other questions mentioned?
by miken » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:50 am
Geolocation information is not known for being accurate.

The forums will not let you post under a Guest name if an actual forum account exists with that username. For example, you would get that error if you tried posting as 'miken' because I already exist on the forums.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by dukeofur » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:40 am
Here all this time, I thought I was logged in, and I was not. The forum didn't tell me that I wasn't.
7 posts Page 1 of 1