Cannot connect Xbox to Xbox Live

General discussions and other topics.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by ppk62 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:14 pm
Hi,

I have the Sonic Fusion bonded ADSL service. I just bought an Xbox and I'm trying to set it up. I can't connect to Xbox Live to download my first update. It is a wired connection and it has a valid IP address, Gateway, DNS Server, etc. It claims that the MTU value is not greater than 1364, though on the modem, it's set to 1500. I get the same issue with a wireless connection

I've been having other issues with the service as well. I usually have to reset the router once every two days. I called up Sonic support and they turned on "interleaving". I have read that this could be causing the issues with the Xbox.

This is frustrating. I can't use my router w/o interleaving and I can't use the Xbox with interleaving?

Any Xbox experts who can help?

To be honest, I switched from AT&T U-Verse because I wanted to go back to a local ISP. However, given the the issues that I've been having with Fusion, I am wondering if I made the right decision. AT&T's DSL was rock solid and now they have speeds that are actually faster then the speeds that I'm getting from Fusion.
by virtualmike » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:17 pm
Call Support again and explain the current situation, so they can work with you. I've also been taught that if you need to reset the modem, call Support first, so they can look at it from their side.

Support will work with you to get this resolved.
by clairet » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:40 pm
If you have our Zyxel modem, the firewall does tend to restrict access to Xbox live. Try disabling the firewall and try again. If that works, you will have to configure port forwarding (called port triggering on the Zyxel) on it to allow your Xbox 360 to connect. It also wouldn't hurt to clear the cache in the Xbox and reset all the network settings to default. The only problem interleaving would cause is that you may experience lagging in your games. This doesn't always happen though and interleave will never restrict your gaming system from connecting to the network.
Claire T.
Sonic.net Technical Support
by ppk62 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:36 pm
Ok. I figured this out. The good news is that it had nothing to do with the interleave or MTU (as the Xbox reported).

The symptom was that during the network check, it would connect to the LAN, and the Internet, but would report that the MTU was too small (<1364) when it tried to go to the Xbox Live site.

I manually entered in all the IP information into the Xbox (IP address, Subnet, Gateway, DNS - primary & secondary). That got it to work. Not sure what the underlying issue is, though.
4 posts Page 1 of 1