Getting msg email "not read" when it has been read

General discussions and other topics.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by ShellyM » Tue May 29, 2012 12:55 pm
I am receiving an email msg that my email was "not read" when the email was read and responded to by the recipient. The "not read" email msg comes weeks, sometimes months after the email has been sent. Why is this happening and how can I be sure that my emails are actually ibeing received and read? I do have the "read receipt" option checked, but not all recipients say yes to that question.

Any help would be appreciated.
by virtualmike » Wed May 30, 2012 12:43 am
Are they all coming from the same email system (the part after the @ sign in the email address)? Or are you getting this from a variety of email systems?
by kgc » Wed May 30, 2012 9:43 am
Exactly what does the email look like? Perhaps your client is letting you know that the 'Read Receipt' for that message was never received.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by dane » Wed May 30, 2012 10:48 am
Read receipts don't generally work, you should probably turn that option off.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ShellyM » Wed May 30, 2012 11:15 am
The @location is the same for all emails. The message appears to be system generated. Here is what is in the msg:

"Your message was deleted without being read on Friday, May 25, 2012 7:25:04 PM (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)."

The email that this above message is referring to was in fact, read and responded to by the recipient.
by virtualmike » Wed May 30, 2012 12:07 pm
Yes, that sounds like an unreliable mail server for that particular location. You could try informing your correspondents at that location so they can refer it to the system administrator, but as Dane noted, in general, email receipts are not particularly reliable. My mail client never sends receipts.
6 posts Page 1 of 1