Complaints

General discussions and other topics.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
by ayres » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:56 am
I have 3 major complaints. I have been a customer since the mid nineties and I am considering leaving Sonic.

1. Incredibly slow internet with no other options in my location near Guerneville and Willowside roads- even thought AT&T has the ability to provide higher speed here.
2. A bill paying setup that entraps the user into automatic billing if the consumer forgets to uncheck the automatic billing options every single month. To add insult to injury, it's impossible to go online to billing options and change back to regular billing - the customer must call the company, go on hold, and have identity verified and go through the process.
3. No easy feedback mechanism on the website. In order to give feedback I looked all over the normal places one would expect to give feedback, like help or contact us. Then, I saw a teeny little place called feedback at the bottom of the website. I had to be willing to log in and start a new topic. I am not experienced at forums so I really don't know if this will work or be seen. Dane Jasper I hope you are reading this. This whole process of changing my payment option and giving feed back has just eaten up half an hour of my valuable time.
by dane » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:11 am
ayres wrote:I have 3 major complaints. I have been a customer since the mid nineties and I am considering leaving Sonic.
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments here. While we might not always have a solution to every issue, it's critical for us to hear from our members!
1. Incredibly slow internet with no other options in my location near Guerneville and Willowside roads- even thought AT&T has the ability to provide higher speed here.
If AT&T has faster service there, it's likely we do too. Check here: https://members.sonic.net/connections/serviceupdate/

If no upgrade options are shown there, but AT&T does offer faster service there, let us know and we'll dig into that!
2. A bill paying setup that entraps the user into automatic billing if the consumer forgets to uncheck the automatic billing options every single month. To add insult to injury, it's impossible to go online to billing options and change back to regular billing - the customer must call the company, go on hold, and have identity verified and go through the process.
Billing and billing interaction is one of our largest costs, and those costs all get passed on to all members in the price for our service. So, it is our goal to have every customer on credit or debit card with fully automatic payment. For most of our services, we no longer accept any other form of payment, and we continue to focus on improving the payment systems to make sure that they are fully automated. This results in the best costs for all of our members.

That being said, our goal is to make this simple and self-service. You can use our member tools to update your payment information any time you need to, for example to change a payment card from one to another. That doesn't require a call to support, identity validation, etc. You can make payment changes here: https://members.sonic.net/account/billing/options/
3. No easy feedback mechanism on the website. In order to give feedback I looked all over the normal places one would expect to give feedback, like help or contact us. Then, I saw a teeny little place called feedback at the bottom of the website. I had to be willing to log in and start a new topic. I am not experienced at forums so I really don't know if this will work or be seen. Dane Jasper I hope you are reading this. This whole process of changing my payment option and giving feed back has just eaten up half an hour of my valuable time.
You can always email support@sonic.net as well, we're happy to hear from customers there. We also respond to customers who message us on Facebook, Twitter, and of course these discussion forums.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ayres » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:31 am
Dear Dane, Thank you for your response.
First, regarding the slow service I have made many many calls to your tech support and have not received a drilled-down solution. I would like to try once again with one of your highest level tech supervisors to see if there is a solution for me. But I need one dedicated person who will work on my case and take the initiative to follow up on it, not a mishmash of various people who happen to answer the phone when I call in.

Secondly, you seemed to imply that I could go online to change to non-automatic billing. That is not true. One of the reasons I don't want automatic billing is because your billing department once overbilled me by over $100 and it took me a lot of back and forth to get it straightened out. I don't like overpaying and then begging to get my money back. I understand it's a lot easier for you not to have to chase after accounts receivable by trapping people into the auto billing. It may be saving you money, but I'm still paying for a speed of 12 and am getting speeds of anywhere from 1 to 10. And believe me the 10s are few and far between and the lower numbers are common.

Again, thank you for your interest.
by derek » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:41 pm
dane wrote:
ayres wrote:
even thought AT&T has the ability to provide higher speed here.
If AT&T has faster service there, it's likely we do too. Check here: https://members.sonic.net/connections/serviceupdate/

If no upgrade options are shown there, but AT&T does offer faster service there, let us know and we'll dig into that!
Does that apply to other areas of resold AT&T FTTN too? The tiers sonic offers are 18M and 45M (dsl upgrade tool) and 50M for X2 at the serviceupdate link, but AT&T offers me 50M and 75M.
by ayres » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:21 pm
I just want to update that I was assigned a great personal tech who helped me solve my slow internet problems. Thank you sonic!
by hyojoongkim » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:11 am
I have joined Sonic since 07/06/2012 with DSL service and layer upgraded to FUSION service.
I have to leave and cancelled service as follows; (very uncomfortable. Sonic charged for new month service)
1. asked to cancel account on 03/05/2019
Guy on the phone said it takes upto 30 days to cancel service and would be charged during cancelling period.!?!?
2. next day (03/06/19), I got email to return rental equipment.
3. 03/07/2019, I returned equipment to SONIC in Santa Rosa.
4. 04/05/2019, Sonic charged to my Credit card for service in 04/10/2019 - 05/09/2019. What?
5. I called Sonic billing. They said Cancelling is still going on. That is why it was charged. Charged will be cancelled.

Few days ago, in my SONIC account, I accidently pressed "pay bill", and it was blocked because cancelling was proceeding.
Then, How is it possible to charge for next months service?
I guess there is technical issue .
What if I did not call? Would Sonic refund it Later????
It is over 30 days after cancelling request, cancelling is still proceeding.
What is going on with SONIC?

I habe been reseting Gateway equipment during my service. My son who is using XFINITY was laughing at SLOW internet service.

SONIC GROW UP FAST UPON LOCAL SUPPORT, ARE THEY THINK IT IS GRANTED? Or, SPOILED???
AT THE LAST MOMENT, I FOUND THST THERE WAS CUSTOMER SERVICE ISSUE.
by ckonger » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:47 am
I **TOTALLY** agree about the checkbox re: AutoPay. I've been a long-time customer and today when I made my normal monthly payment, I unchecked the box and it STILL enabled AutoPay (expressly against my wishes!)

I just sent a note to the Billing folks to have that turned OFF (again) and to remove my credit card info from the database. Just as with the OP, I'm finding this to so annoying that I'm seriously considering migrating my very long-term account elsewhere. I do NOT want my credit card info stored in your system (just like with every other online account I have ... I've had too many providers get hacked, my info compromised, and then I have to get new cards etc.) When did Sonic become evil??!! (a la Google)

PLEASE FIX THIS!!

Chris Konger
by dane » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:02 pm
Sonic Fusion services require a Visa or MasterCard credit or debit card on file and automated payment.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by peggycassidy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:21 am
I completely agree that auto pay and customer service inability to fix a simple problem are ridiculous. Not much better than comcast! Please fix this problem, don't be like Comcast. I have had to call every month since September when my Credit Card info changed due to a new expiry date, and my bank now thinks someone in your company is committing fraud with my account info. A simple change in credit card information shouldn't be so hard for you to implement. Every time I call I get this kind of response: "Hmm...that's weird...". Then they fix it, but this last time they were unable to fix it and took it to a supervisor. I hear nothing until I hear there is a now a late charge. Did one of your customer service people take my credit card info and use it to pay his/her own account?
by dane » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:47 am
peggycassidy wrote:I completely agree that auto pay and customer service inability to fix a simple problem are ridiculous. Not much better than comcast! Please fix this problem, don't be like Comcast. I have had to call every month since September when my Credit Card info changed due to a new expiry date, and my bank now thinks someone in your company is committing fraud with my account info. A simple change in credit card information shouldn't be so hard for you to implement. Every time I call I get this kind of response: "Hmm...that's weird...". Then they fix it, but this last time they were unable to fix it and took it to a supervisor. I hear nothing until I hear there is a now a late charge. Did one of your customer service people take my credit card info and use it to pay his/her own account?
Peggy, you can avoid calling by updating payment information online, here: https://members.sonic.net/account/billing/

With regards to expiration dates and credit card billing addresses, we have to honor the response from your bank when those are validated - they do have to match. Maybe the old card is still active with an old expiration date and the new one hasn't taken effect? I'm guessing - your credit card issuing bank would be best able to see what's going on on their side with that.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
10 posts Page 1 of 1