Sonic upgrade to mesh system or 802 AC modem

General discussions and other topics.
11 posts Page 1 of 2
by fogpuppy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:31 am
Hi All,

Does anyone know if Sonic will upgrade the modem for an existing customer. I have an older PACE 5168N that has always been a bit of a problem (off the shelf extenders don't work well, various connection issues, etc.). This has been an issue for this model for a lot of people as far as I can tell form the traffic.

I was wondering if Sonic will upgrade my modem to a newer mesh system preferably with 802.11 AC speeds)? Anyone had any luck asking for an upgraded modem? Does anyone have experience adding a mesh sytem to the 5168N?
by dane » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:29 am
The 5168N modem is generally used in locations where we are delivering slower broadband speeds, and the better reach of 802.11N is more useful. If your Internet connection is <30Mbps, it's likely that AC would result in lower performance around the premise.

You're right to note that a mesh system will offset this, but it comes at a significant cost. Sonic has begun offering WiFi AC mesh systems in beta test in some limited areas to new gigabit Fiber customers. We'll continue to expand availability as that testing proceeds.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by fogpuppy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:27 pm
Wow ... that's a high powered person to respond to a general forum post.

I've got about 45M DSL so I think the AC would work. The main reason I'm looking for AC is for internal communication between devices inside my house. If you're looking for a beta for mesh for a customer on a DSL line I'm happy to participate. I have a tech background so I might be a good test customer but obviously that's up to you guys.

If there is an option to get a newer AC modem let me know.
by dane » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:26 pm
You can visit http://gateway.sonic.net/ and it'll show the speed on the landing page. What's that number?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by fogpuppy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:03 pm
Broadband
download 46344Kbps
upload 4866Kbps
by fogpuppy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:05 am
Hey any more info here on Mesh options?
by dane » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:36 am
Since you're getting a >30Mbps sync speed, you'd benefit from WiFi-AC, I'll ask team to reach out to discuss a CPE swap.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by fogpuppy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:04 pm
Thanks Dane ... your team has already called. I just want to say I continue to be totally impressed by Sonic's service and commitment to customer support (and it costs less too!).

First, the DSL is super fast and just works. Coming from ATT Uverse with it's arbitrary throttling of network bandwidth (just so they can charge more) and crappy VOIP service the difference is striking. I had problems with ATT where my DSL would just stop working for hours at a time. When Sonic originally installed my service the tech noticed some "anomalies" on my line. He got ATT to come out to check their equipment (it was same ATT technician that told me "nothing could be done" about my AATT service issues). He tried that with the Sonic tech but he pushed back saying what he was seeing was "not normal". Low and behold the ATT tech found a problem on the pole with some sort of connection box that was full of water. Kudos to the Sonic rep for his persistence.

Second, any time I've ever had a question Sonic jumps on it immediately and it gets taken care of right away (this is a great example)example. By the time I saw your post the Sonic rep had already called me and arranged for new equipment to be sent. It's customer support like this that make all the difference between Sonic and others. Whenever anyone asks me about internet service here on the HMB coast side I tell them to get Sonic with no reservations.

Keep building a fantastic company ...
by dane » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:17 pm
Thanks! This is exactly the sort of experience we want to deliver to folks. And as we continue to grow, we build more and more fiber and get more of you on our own lines end to end. It's a great mission, and spreading the word is what makes it possible, so thank you for that.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by fogpuppy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:31 pm
Great to hear though I'm not holding my breath over here on the San Mateo coast for Fiber ... we got DSL about 10 years after everyone else ... There are good things about living in the boonies (quiet, less pollution, small town feel) ... and bad (the last place new technology shows up).

Thanks for all your help and pass my compliments on to your entire team.
11 posts Page 1 of 2