Bug in the forum software: Doesn't like two-character user names

General discussions and other topics.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by lrralph » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:59 am
This forum no longer likes 2-character user names like "lr", which is actually a very real user name at Sonic. Fortunately, there is a longer version that's a mail alias.

Ralph
by drew.phillips » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:24 pm
Hi Ralph,

I was able to log on fine using a 2-character username this afternoon. I do see a couple of failed attempts (incorrect password) from your account prior to posting this message but before it looks like you successfully logged in.

Are you able to get in with your shorter username at this time or are you still running into errors?
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by lr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:16 am
There are two ways to log in.

If you are not logged in and start typing a forum post, then above the post there are *two* entry fields, one for username, and one for subject. In that username field, if you type a 2-character user name, it is rejected.

But there is also a username field in the top right (has a little "torso and head of human" icon). There you can log in fine with the two-character user name, which is what I ended up doing.

So the problem only applies to the field above the post if you are not logged in yet. Sorry, should have updated this thread to mention that, I forgot.

Ralph
Linda and Ralph and John; 735 Sunset Ridge Road; Los Gatos, CA 95033; 408-395-1435
by drew.phillips » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:27 pm
Hi Ralph,

For what it's worth, the Username field that appears when posting is not really a login, but for guest posting (since we don't require registration to use our forums).

It doesn't allow fewer than 3 character usernames for guest posts, but had it accepted it, you'd get an error message saying "The username you entered is already in use, please select an alternative" because it won't let a guest post with a username that already exists in our forum (which would be the case for your username).

Due to the latter error I don't think it's much of a bug.

If you happen to notice the Username field when you go to post, be sure to log in before posting.

Also, if you log in using the username and password fields at the bottom of the forum, there's a checkbox "Remember Me" that will keep you logged in longer saving you from having to log in every time if you visit the forums frequently.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
4 posts Page 1 of 1