Energy saving.

General discussions and other topics.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by snowlion8 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:52 am
Can I put my internet and tv on a timer that turns off the power for blocks of time? This would save electricity.
by sn90000 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:24 pm
Unless you can prove otherwise, that would save a negligible amount of energy.
If you don't have a Kill-A-Watt meter to measure real consumption - get one !!

My two biggest electricity consumers are a) the fridge (24x7 use) and b) the @#$%^ power hungry CableCo set top box which I also use for late night 'white noise' (effectively 24x7). The latters power saving mode is 100% BS and only applies to a DVR box.

My LCD TV only uses ~30 watts when turned on and even has a power saving mode that turns off the display (sound only) saving ~20 watts.

Likewise, my 'value' ATX based desktop computer with LCD display and modern motherboard idles at about ~40 watts. I'm looking into a pico-PSU or similar to reduce power supply consumption. Smaller but less flexible system units will use less. If you want more 'off the grid' something like a Raspberry Pi 3 may be tolerable.

Good luck .....
by digitalbitstream » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:20 am
The Kill-A-Watt is a great device for learning what to prioritize in terms of energy savings.

Yes, you can save energy by turning off your Sonic Internet gateway.
The Pace 5268AC uses about 13 watts 24/7 ( 312 watt hours per day, 113880 watt hours per year, or $23/year at baseline PG&E rates of 20 cents per kilowatt hour).

Just be careful you don't disable phone service, if you rely on that. Also consider a "smart power strip" that turns off extra gadgets like speakers & routers, when a main device turns off. When you shut off the computer for example, it can turn off all the other junk on your desk.
3 posts Page 1 of 1