Fax over IP questions.....

General discussions and other topics.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by qivey » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:21 pm
I have an old lexmark all in one printer. And I would like to keep with the fax option. I understand that you need an ATA to do this. I purchased a Cisco SPA 112 ATA but im have issues with the configuration. Cisco me that I need Proxy info password and User ID info. Sonic tech support cannot assist. Can anyone assist.

Q.
by miken » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:52 am
There's an older post here on the forums that may help.
Fusion FTTN, however, uses VoIP and may not work with fax machines. If I understand correctly, a fax machine will take an image, compress it down to digital data and create a sound pattern for it to transmit to the other fax machine over a phone line. VoIP then takes that sound (or any sound for that matter) and compresses it down to data, which then has to be uncompressed on the other end. This adds a whole new level to the equation and can allow fax machines to not send faxes correctly. Some manufacturer's recommend reducing the transmission rate, or baud rate, of the fax machine to ensure that faxes have a greater chance of making it through without being corrupted (although some fax machines may not have an option to change that). Differing default transmission rates are why some fax machines seem to work on VoIP and others do not.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
2 posts Page 1 of 1