net neutrality

General discussions and other topics.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by allen.phil@yahoo.com » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:06 am
Does Sonic have a position on net neutrality?

If net neutrality is removed by the FCC, what service changes may we expect from Sonic, presuming it's able to make a choice?

phil
by gwenyfarrell » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:21 am
I am concerned that getting away from net neutrality will make the big corporations (unlike Sonic) more powerful.

What can a small company like you do to preserve net neutrality
by miken » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:15 pm
@allen.phil We very strongly support Net Neutrality and protecting user privacy. You don't have to worry about us selling user data or using bandwidth limitations to make a quick profit.

@gwenyfarrell https://corp.sonic.net/ceo/2015/02/26/f ... eutrality/ We do what we can to preserve Net Neutrality for everyone - however the ultimate decision is up to the FCC. Regardless of whether Net Neutrality is revoked, Sonic will continue to provide unthrottled bandwidth to its users.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by annettehurst » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:16 pm
We are very grateful that Sonic has taken a strong stand in support of net neutrality.

Assuming the FCC revokes the regulations requiring neutrality, how will interconnect agreements affect our service? Will Sonic's interconnect agreements with long haul providers result in any throttling or premium paid tiers?

Best,
Annette
by sklower » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:00 pm
I am glad to be a sonic customer, and I'm also very happy to see sonic's support of net neutrality.

But the curmudgeon in me can't resist pointing out that those of us subscribers who have to rely on sbcglobal for (OEMd) FTTN service might be subject to whatever traffic-shaping ATT imposes on us, and I don't think sonic can do anything about it
(except complain on our behalf).
by amayfield » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:12 pm
Our agreement with AT&T to provide FTTN doesn't allow for them to employ the kinds of tactics they employ on their residential customers (such as traffic shaping). However, we do understand the concern and if you'd prefer a direct tunnel to Sonic's network we do provide a VPN service to all connectivity customers at no additional charge. You can learn a bit more about the VPN on our wiki - https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/VPN_Service
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by patty1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:04 pm
Phil, I've been a Sonic customer for over 15 years. They have ALWAYS had the backs of their customers when it comes to Internet access and privacy. That's why they consistently get a top rating from the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

Here is Dane's latest blog posting about net neutrality. Be assured that Sonic will not be throttling your access to certain websites to squeeze more money out of you.

https://corp.sonic.net/ceo/2017/12/12/n ... ith-sonic/
7 posts Page 1 of 1