OpenVPN

General discussions and other topics.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by patk » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:05 pm
I installed OpenVPN a couple of months or so ago and it's been working fine, but today it prevented me any access to the Internet. If I turned it off, I was back online with no problem. I called tech support and after dicking around with it for quite a time, it was suggested that I uninstall it and reinstall it again. This didn't go well. I uninstalled it with no problem, but when I tried to re-install it, I got an error message that reads : "Unable to install TUN/TAP driver | exit code : 2". See attached.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (29.7 KiB) Viewed 193492 times
I click the OK button, and the green bar indicating the progress of the installation starts going backwards until the whole window disappears.

Anyone had this problem or knows how to fix it?
by virtualmike » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:48 pm
There's a different version of OpenVPN that might resolve this for you. Take a look at this message and the ones that follow it.
by patk » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:03 pm
Much obliged for the information. Oddly, after buggering about all day yesterday I found that the cause of the problem seemed related to a conflict with a fully functional installation of Malwarebytes. Since some problems in unrelated areas were cured as well once this was uninstalled, it must have been the culprit. I was able then to re-install OpenVPN without incident.

However, I was sufficiently interested in trying the GUI version that I downloaded that and installed it as well. It works well, but there's little evidence of any GUI that I can see. Nor is there any way of switching my 'location' around; as with the Sonic version of OpenVPN I'm shoehorned into the same IP address. I have to assume that the ability to change ones location from country to country is only available with 'for pay' VPN services. This is reasonable of course.
by virtualmike » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:26 pm
Ability to set location is available only with those VPN services that choose to offer it. Those services have POPs in multiple countries.
4 posts Page 1 of 1