Disable Voice to avoid $13 tax

General discussions and other topics.
51 posts Page 4 of 6
by lucky29 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:29 am
I find this extremely frustrating. I haven't used a lane line in 10 years. I don't own a land line phone and my new Fiber install doesn't even have a place to plug in a phone as far as I know. Yet, when I called customer service they assured me again and again that there is no way to turn off the phone service to avoid the $13 in taxes.

I've read the above posts and understand Sonic adds the phone because they can make extra money on usage. But if I'm not even capable of using it, Sonic doesn't make money and I'm paying taxes for nothing. This is simply wasteful.

I switched to Sonic because it seems like an honest company and I hate Comcast and AT&T for exactly this kind of reason. Please do not resort to shady business practices. This destroys my trust in Sonic as a company.

Charge whatever fair price you need to make a profit on the service you offer, but do not mislead me and definitely don't make me pay taxes on something I don't even want.
by kyle.depasquale » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:27 pm
There is a way to plug in a land line - directly into your ONT. As has been mentioned before, there's a number of business reasons why Sonic has chosen to bundle with voice service - sure, it's not the exact $40/month price you'd be hoping since taxes are added, but getting fiber service at this price is still a bargain.
by tadol » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:02 pm
I’d suggest you all vote with your wallet and drop Sonic and go back to the service that you think is better. I don’t have choice, and am anxious to get Sonic in so I don’t have to deal with Comcast or ATT, and their truly horrible and unresponsive support and much higher prices for lesser service. I am sorry you feel so horribly violated and abused, but you have choice - I know way too many people that don’t and would be thrilled to pay $70 or more just to drop their existing service and jump onto Sonic -
by rx7ven » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:57 pm
so is there a way to disable voice since i dont use it at all? dont even have a home phone.
by Edwardf » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:13 pm
I just signed up for Sonic and I express the same concern about useless phone line. Any feedback from the Sonic reps?
by anom » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:22 am
I don't know why people sign up for a service and then complain about what they signed up for. If the phone line is a deal killer don't buy the service. It is as simple as that.
by mpv » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:14 am
My "$40" FTTN service was raised $10 monthly, and also includes $6.50 for a modem rental and over $10 in taxes for a land line that I have literally never used.

My last monthly bill was $65 for a 25/2 connection. For $15 LESS than that, I can get 75Mbps from Comcast.

I would really like to stay with Sonic. I've even considered upgrading to X2, since I can't get fiber, but that's adding another $20 plus a more expensive modem rental, so $90 per month for 50Mbps.

I'd love to hear how that is competitive pricing. It's simply not.
by matthew8edell » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:19 am
Yes!
by barnabarna » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:52 pm
taavi_kuusik wrote:
If the cost of running the service without doesn't make sense at $50 a month, just make it $56 then, I'd pay that and wouldn't feel ripped off (plus I wouldn't end up being charged ANOTHER $6 taxes for something I don't use). This is not nickles and dimes either, it's 25% more than advertised out of which 12.5% is just pure profit margin for Sonic.
Totally agree. I am a new sonic user and today when I saw my first bill I felt that I was lied to. I was lied to by a company that otherwise seems so cool. And I had to explain to my roommates that we're going to have to pay more than what we agreed on before because Sonic has been constantly misleading me before. Why don't they simply charge us $56 for the internet instead?
by jerrielm » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:38 pm
Hello Everyone!

I am sorry to hear most of you guys are disliking the Phone service that we provide and more so wanting to cut it out of your billing. As a Sonic customer myself I can not agree more with you. I don't even use the phone service (I have IPBB or resold AT&T services) but a good reason why the service is provided is due to the advantages it gives us as a Utilities company.

With Sonic growing as a company and wanting to expand out our Fiber services it would be a lot more challenging if we were only an internet provider to get our Fiber services to locations like Petaluma, Brentwood, Oakland and SF.

I do apologize to anyone that did not have these taxes and fees explained to them and I do ask that if this was the case for you to DM me so that I can take a look and ensure that our Sales teams are explaining these.

With that being said this does not mean we will NEVER offer services that do not have phone lines tied to them but just at this time we are not ready to make that big move.

Best Wishes!
51 posts Page 4 of 6