Disable Voice to avoid $13 tax

General discussions and other topics.
51 posts Page 3 of 6
by brandon » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:49 pm
Add me to the list of customers who don't want to pay taxes for a phone line I'm never going to plug in. The fiber service is great but it's annoying that it comes with these billing games.
by RobertSug » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:14 am
You didnt specify what address the code in the disable section is being written to. Thats a syntax error, and when CE tries to disable the script, it fails.
by Marsh » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:25 pm
Add me to the list of customers that feel nickle-and-dimed by this. I was already frustrated that I have to pay a rental fee for AT&T's Arris modem without a BYO option. Having to rent the ATA when I don't need the voice service and the cost isn't factored into the base price is the kind of behavior I expect from companies that aren't Sonic.
by taavi_kuusik » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:57 am
Yeah, same here. I find it extremely dishonest to advertise as "no hidden fees" and then get nearly ~25% of extra fees tagged on.

I don't own a landline phone, I don't want to own a landline phone - even my cell phone is permanently on silent, because of all the robocalls. It is technically possible for Sonic to verify that a phone has never been attached to this line (since it's VOIP after all), so charging extra taxes makes no sense. I wonder if it's even legal, considering they didn't actually provide phone service at any point, just the OPTION of getting phone service.

If the cost of running the service without doesn't make sense at $50 a month, just make it $56 then, I'd pay that and wouldn't feel ripped off (plus I wouldn't end up being charged ANOTHER $6 taxes for something I don't use). This is not nickles and dimes either, it's 25% more than advertised out of which 12.5% is just pure profit margin for Sonic.
by taavi_kuusik » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:58 am
Oh yeah and I forgot to mention that when I reached out to support about this after receiving my first bill, they just completely ignored my email. No response at all...
by miken » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:17 pm
taavi_kuusik wrote:Oh yeah and I forgot to mention that when I reached out to support about this after receiving my first bill, they just completely ignored my email. No response at all...
I see the email you sent in and I see a response by one of our representatives sent back within 3-4 minutes of sending us the email. Maybe it was missed in your inbox due to the quick reply?
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by Outer Sunset » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:41 am
I've now been hit by the realization that Sonic will not drop the landline, nor the cost of a service we don't use. When we signed up I was under the impression that landline was optional (maybe it was at that time or maybe we misunderstood) but we wanted the landline anyway and purchased the service. Now, many years later, the landline is never used (except to receive robocalls, political recorded statements or marketing calls), so we wanted to get rid of it -- only to discover that is impossible (huh?). l used to advocate for Sonic. No more. And the internet speed isn't nearly what is advertised, and the modem that Sonic provides barely reaches 30'. I was also told by Sonic's helpline that if they could the would drop the landline for customers and post to this forum in the hopes of catching the ear of the CEO (I think the CEO has heard it plenty by now and has decided to ignore it. Kind of like Trump's take on the murderous crown prince of Saudi Arabia.) Even the Sonic employees are embarrassed to be associated with this sham.
by macmarcule » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:34 pm
dane wrote: Voice generates revenue that supports the overall product - for example every time a member makes a toll-free call, we receive payment. We also get some small revenue when members receive calls.

I'd also note that the recent fires in the North Bay have further reinforced my belief that households should have a wired phone for life safety reasons. Emergency services never alerted cell phones, but they did reverse-911 to landline phones. See: https://corp.sonic.net/ceo/2017/11/01/post-fire/

Our voice service includes "Enhanced" 911, which is location enabled, down to the unit number. This means that before the call even goes through, dispatchers know your exact location. See info on this topic, here: https://www.ems1.com/technology/article ... -dial-911/
I don't even have a phone connected to my Sonic service. You will not get any revenue from me and I will neither make nor receive 911 calls through my Sonic service.
1) If you need this revenue to subsidize the cost of providing my Fiber internet service then charge it as part of the cost of my internet service. Don't pull this slight of hand trick on your customers to pretend that you are charging less for the internet service. As a corporate value, deception and dishonestly will not earn you loyal customers. If you charge me an extra $3 for my internet service to cover this amount and don't make me pay the $13+ in phone fees, I'll still be $10 better off and you'll have a more affordable product.
2) Please don't patronize me and tell me you know what is best for me and my phone service. I want internet service from Sonic. I'll make my own choices regarding phone service and don't appreciate you trying to shove it down my throat and then tell me it's for my own good.
by macmarcule » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:44 pm
rdsf wrote:When I dumped Comcast cable and kept internet only it was pretty amazing to get a bill each month for the advertised price - no added costs, fees, taxes.

I have no need for and will not use a landline phone. I understand that there is some revenue from the phone line - I'd rather pay another $5 per month for the internet to offset the income loss from having no phone line. But I don't want to pay taxes and fees for a service that I don't want and won't use.
How sad is it that when Sonic fiber finally came to my neighborhood I was jumping for joy at dumping Comcast and now I'm starting to wonder if I should go back? :cry:
by wkmu76 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:04 am
Has anyone gotten satisfaction from SONIC Re: dropping land line phone and the associated fees taxes charges?
51 posts Page 3 of 6