How to read Sonic forum feed

General discussions and other topics.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by jeffg1 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:15 am
Been using usenet for many years - one reason is that I can keep up with lots of things in a single, consistent (email client) window. My client is claws-mail (Linux), a great app which supports email, usenet and (through a plugin) RSS/Atom feeds.

So, I figured that I'd ease the blow of losing usenet by at least receiving Sonic forum feeds. But when trying to add the feed (feed.php), I get an "SSL connect error" response.

I'm well beyond my level of knowledge here, but the feed is obviously encrypted, and the claws-mail feed reader looks to be rejecting it for that reason. (I receive several other [non-encrypted] feeds just fine, BTW.)

Am I using the wrong URL, or is there a non-encrypted version of Sonic's feed? Or can anyone point me to some other way that I can get claws-mail to accept Sonic's feed?

Thanks!
by thulsa_doom » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:29 pm
The URL itself is working fine on my copy of Thunderbird, so I suspect this is a matter of some difference in how our clients are handling the SSL connection. I'm not aware of a non-https means of accessing this forum.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by rodrigo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:35 pm
It could be that your system has an older version of OpenSSL. Check what version you have and make sure it's at least 1.0.0.

This happened to me while writing a script to read and parse the feeds - my development environment has an older version of OpenSSL, OpenSSL/0.9.8r, and cannot connect and read the file. My testing environment has OpenSSL 1.0.0-fips, and can successfully read and parse the file.
by jeffg1 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:02 pm
Hmmm... I just tried the feed in Thunderbird and, sure enough, it works fine. I guess claw's RSS plugin is just broken. (Looking deeper, the plugin depends on libcurl3-gnutls for its ssl connection, and both gnutls and openssl look to be at the correct versions.) Guess it's time to file a bug-report.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
4 posts Page 1 of 1