Question about phone service in fire-affected areas

General discussions and other topics.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by patty1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:56 pm
I keep hearing on the news that landline service is out in Napa (and parts of Sonoma County?). That's possible, but it seems very unlikely. Is it really true, or do customers just think it's true because they all have message machines and other geegaws that don't run off the power supplied on the phone line?

My sister-in-law said that she "just got Internet and phone service" back a few hours ago. That sounds to me like she's got a VOIP system. She didn't mention a power outage, so I'm surprised that her phone would have gone out. A friend who's currently visiting me but is very familiar with Napa says the AT&T CO is in downtown Napa and looks like a concrete fortress, so I don't understand why there would be a problem with POTS.
by dane » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:21 am
POTS and Sonic's Fusion xDSL services have been largely unaffected. I have read on Nextdoor and Facebook that Comcast was down in Windsor and Healdsburg though, likely due to fiber damaged in Northern Santa Rosa. But Sonic remained online throughout.

Customers with our Fusion FTTN service do need on-site power for the phone service, so a battery backup or generator is required if there is no utility power. Even a small unit like this can support the router and telephone adapter for many hours: http://amzn.to/2ydye9Z
Dane Jasper
Sonic
2 posts Page 1 of 1