Usenet server down?

General discussions and other topics.
61 posts Page 1 of 7
by coad » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:46 am
The NNTP server (199.245.68.61) appears to be down. Is this the real end of Usenet at Sonic?

Thanks,

--paul
by ankh » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:24 pm
down ...
by thulsa_doom » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:31 pm
I couldn't get a solid status update, but it didn't sound good. I'm not sure enough audience members were applauding to save Tinkerbell this time.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by aw » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:51 pm
by kgc » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:58 pm
The NNTP server (199.245.68.61) appears to be down. Is this the real end of Usenet at Sonic?
The final surviving member of the reader cluster died earlier this morning with a fatal disk failure. I've spent most of the morning trying to coax it back to life but am rapidly approaching the point where a full rebuild of the system would be required to get it back online. I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel, but it is close.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by jmunowitch » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:05 pm
by Alan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:55 pm
I'd like to thank Kerry and the rest of the Sonic team for their
efforts in keeping the Usenet service up. Your efforts are
*very* appreciated.
by kgc » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:35 pm
kgc wrote:
The final surviving member of the reader cluster died earlier this morning with a fatal disk failure. I've spent most of the morning trying to coax it back to life but am rapidly approaching the point where a full rebuild of the system would be required to get it back online. I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel, but it is close.
It wasn't quite fatal and news.sonic.net is back up and running now. One thing to note is that the sonic.* groups are orphaned now - the header feed is coming in from another news cluster that doesn't carry these groups. They'll be readable for a bit, but no new posts will show up.
Kelsey Cummings
by patty1 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:45 pm
Kelsey, thank you very much for your efforts! I saw your posting in sonic.general, too. So I guess henceforth I need to check the Sonic website to see MOTDs and other updates, if indeed there will be no more postings in sonic.announce or sonic.general?

Patty
by kgc » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:49 pm
Patty, that's right. I hacked that post into the system to make sure folks like you saw it. The server is down again to replace another disk that is failing. :(
Kelsey Cummings
61 posts Page 1 of 7