4 posts Page 1 of 1
by anatola2 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:51 pm
I am looking at the available SSH apps for Ipad 3. Looking for one
that would work like PuTTY and has arrow keys for keyboard and
ctrl/alt and optionally function buttons. I just want to be able to
quickly check my shell account.

Any recommendations? I tried a couple of the free ones but they are
too keyboard impaired. There's no 'try b4 you buy' for these apps and
I'd like something which works as easily as PuTTY.

TIA for suggestions!

Janice
by polpo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:49 am
I've used both iSSH and Prompt. While iSSH has more features, Prompt wins hands down for actual usability. It adds an extra small bar to the top of the standard iOS keyboard with Ctrl, Fn, Arrow keys, etc. I find it great to use, and I've been able to do fairly serious work in a shell with it.
by anatola2 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:41 pm
Thank you.

I've installed iSSH and have started using it to get some familiarity with the onscreen keyboard in mutt, tf and tin. I will give Prompt a try. I've ordered a bluetooth keyboard case for my ipad since I've discovered I'll probably be using the ipad more than I anticipated.

I've never used cloud devices before so I'm concerned with the additional safety that might be afforded with the use of an SSH key. Do you have any advice? I found this link, which seems to have the basic how-to.
http://paulkeck.com/ssh/
by kbenson » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:57 am
Concerned how? Using a public/private keypair is highly recommended, unless you don't trust the program you are supplying your private key to. Increased security AND easier credential management, it's a win.
4 posts Page 1 of 1