Security vulnerabilities disclosed in AT&T modems

General discussions and other topics.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by JDL » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:37 am
Please be advised, security researchers have disclosed a few significant vulnerabilities in AT&T DSL router models. I do not have this exact model, but it appears the rebranded models (Pace?) run similar firmware. For example, the 5268AC listens on the same port mentioned in the post (49152).

Please advice if the Sonic firmware on our devices is vulnerable to these attack vectors, and if so what is the timeline for mitigation?

Blog post:
https://www.nomotion.net/blog/sharknatto/

Thank you.
by netllama » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:19 pm
Sonic doesn't control the firmware on AT&T issued modems. I can state for a fact that AT&T provided me with one of the modems which is impacted by this vulnerability when I subscribed for Sonic's FTTN service.

A slightly more detailed article regarding this issue is posted https://threatpost.com/bugs-in-arris-mo ... ks/127753/.
by JDL » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm
What other protection can Sonic offer, given they are forcing us to use a modem/router/firewall device with known vulnerabilities? Some have suggested putting another firewall behind the Sonic device, but I feel that asking me to purchase, configure, and support an additional piece of equipment is not an appropriate answer to making me use a vulnerable device as part of the service offered by Sonic.
by MJV » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:49 pm
I would hope that Sonic will use its clout to try to force updates from AT&T to our modems. I personally have a secondary router to block anything coming in from the vulnerable AT&T modem. Check out the Ubiquiti Edgerouter X or Edgerouter Lite as cheap but powerful solutions for this. Keep IOT, Wifi and other traffic segregated on separate networks with these as well..
by netllama » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:40 pm
MJV wrote:I would hope that Sonic will use its clout to try to force updates from AT&T to our modems. I personally have a secondary router to block anything coming in from the vulnerable AT&T modem. Check out the Ubiquiti Edgerouter X or Edgerouter Lite as cheap but powerful solutions for this. Keep IOT, Wifi and other traffic segregated on separate networks with these as well..
I doubt Sonic has any clout whatsoever with AT&T.
by donsleeter5116 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:02 pm
I am also concerned about these so called "Sharknatto" security vulnerabilities on Sonic FTTN via AT&T

Q: As a subscriber for Sonic's FTTN service, using PACE 5268AC router, am I vulnerable to some or all of the Sharknatto attacks? (AT&T techs and AT&T equipment!!)

I can't wait for AT&T to respond saying that these vulnerabilities are "features" for service and maintenance. That's not gonna fly with me. Listen to Security Now #627 to get some commentary on this topic. It sounds really bad.

I will install the Ubiquity Edge Router inside my AT&T 5268AC modem/router to isolate myself, but I do want to hear from Sonic about what they think about their customers' vulnerability (or not) to Sharknatto with all the various types of AT&T modems.

Maybe the better question is: Does my AT&T 5268AC router/modem have the same crazy sharknatto vulnerabilities as other AT&T modems? Sonic has nothing to do with it, right?

I sure do wish we had Sonic Fiber in our neighborhood! AT&T is bad bad bad. Class action lawsuit bad.
6 posts Page 1 of 1