Never-ending increase of Sonic service ?

General discussions and other topics.
18 posts Page 1 of 2
by tlorach » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:20 am
I wanted to draw your consumer's attention (and Sonic attention at the same time) on the fact that our bills are slowly but surely increasing for reasons that I don't understand:
Jan 2017: $54.92
Feb 2017: $64.94
March 2017: $65.25
Aug 2017: $66.22

Not only I wonder when this will stop, but the attractive offer that made me join Sonic starts to become less and less interesting.
Fortunately, it's easy to leave Sonic. But rather doing so, I'd prefer that they stop increasing my Bill.
by dane » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:38 am
I suspect there are two factors at work here: the end of your 12-month introductory pricing, and then our first price increase for the base service since launching Fusion service in 2010.

So, I don't think you'll see a trend here - while costs do climb, we're continuing to work to achieve the best possible efficiency of our operations here, and to keep costs as low as possible for our members. It's been seven years without a base price change, and I hope we're able to achieve seven more unchanged!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by MarkHeim » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:58 am
Whatever happened to the $40/month that I see on the sides of trucks and on the website.

My most recent bill was $72 - almost double what you're advertising. What is going on here? I know there are "taxes and fees" but that shouldn't be almost double the base rate.

At the very least - you should stop the false advertising on your trucks and website.
by miken » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:16 am
MarkHeim wrote:Whatever happened to the $40/month that I see on the sides of trucks and on the website.

My most recent bill was $72 - almost double what you're advertising. What is going on here? I know there are "taxes and fees" but that shouldn't be almost double the base rate.

At the very least - you should stop the false advertising on your trucks and website.
Our single line services are $40 plus taxes and fees for the first year and $50 plus taxes and fees afterwards. It's hard to get more specific than $40 a month plus taxes and fees on our trucks and website because taxes are going to vary depending on the city you live in and equipment fees will vary depending on what kind of service your specific address qualifies for. Transparency is something we value and whether the sign up is on the website or over the phone, once we know what address you are trying to get service at we disclose what kind of taxes and fees you are looking at having.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by MarkHeim » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:40 am
Fair enough - I just prefer knowing what I'm going to pay. I understand taxes and fees are location specific. It's just a tough pill to swallow when the fees amount to almost double the "base price". I do enjoy the service over the competitors - but the one thing that always drove me crazy about comcast was the constant unknown of when your price would go up.

I understand the $10 price increase - but on my bill it says it's for voice service. If that's the reason my bill is $10 more, do we have the option of getting rid of the landline? It's completely pointless - we've had it for a year and never used it once.

Thank you!
by dane » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:07 pm
MarkHeim wrote:Fair enough - I just prefer knowing what I'm going to pay. I understand taxes and fees are location specific. It's just a tough pill to swallow when the fees amount to almost double the "base price". I do enjoy the service over the competitors - but the one thing that always drove me crazy about comcast was the constant unknown of when your price would go up.

I understand the $10 price increase - but on my bill it says it's for voice service. If that's the reason my bill is $10 more, do we have the option of getting rid of the landline? It's completely pointless - we've had it for a year and never used it once.

Thank you!
The increase was actually on the data service: Fusion went from a total of $40 (which was split, $30/$10 for data/voice), to a new monthly rate of $50, which is split, $40/$10 for data/voice. Today the product is a bundle of voice+data, so it's not possible to split off the voice service, it's included.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by neg12roni » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:57 pm
Isn't the cost supposed to DECREASE as you add more subscribers? I have no not seen any tangible upgrades to my service for these increases and I'm saddled with ongoing phone charges and taxes for something I never use. IPV6 for one.....
by MJV » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:54 pm
I would also like to dump the voice option. I wouldn't even mind paying $50 for the data alone as long as I'm not getting hit with fees for a service I never use and never intend to use.
by duh » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:46 pm
neg12roni wrote:Isn't the cost supposed to DECREASE as you add more subscribers? I have no not seen any tangible upgrades to my service for these increases and I'm saddled with ongoing phone charges and taxes for something I never use. IPV6 for one.....
No, that's not really how it works. Your price hike is going towards increased marketing efforts, increased staff compensation and new hires, and fiber infrastructure expansion.

That's pretty typical. The "have less" pay so others can "have more" - most of whom don't need or even remotely fully utilize the capacity fiber optics bring to their premises.
by inNOvation » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:03 am
The cost should decrease as more subscribers are added. The customer can't argue that your staff does not need additional compensation, but you should also keep the customers happy because without them, you wouldn't be able to have or pay any staff. It doesn't make sense to raise the customer's rates to spend more on marketing. Your customers provide the best marketing with what they tell friends and associates about your service. An idea to keep marketing costs low and customers happy would be to give customers a discount when they refer a friend or neighbor to the service. Does it make sense to expand your fiber optics infrastructure, if most people don't need it? Sonic has been very good with customer service. Hopefully they will continue to listen to their customers and think of solutions to retain customers.
18 posts Page 1 of 2