SMTP appeared in outlook 2007 from nowhere

General discussions and other topics.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by lubec » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:20 pm
HELP! I'm just an average home user who suddenty has SMTP addresses in my outlook address book--don't know how they got there or how to get rid of them. I need to export csv files -- and when I create the csv file what I get is: email address SMTP name (email address) --e.g. (copied exactly from one of the lines) :
Brian Crawford BCrawford@co.marin.ca.us SMTP Brian Crawford (BCrawford@co.marin.ca.us)
Outlook address book has three columns, as follows:
Name column shows as: Name
"Display as" column shows as: name(email address)
Email Address column shows as : email address

Individual Outlook contact file shows under "display as" name(email address)

I have successfully created a csv file in the past without this problem and never before noticed the SMTP or the repeated address (but also never consciously looked). A few newer entries do not have the SMTP email or any problem; it may be possible that these more recent entries were added through the outlook function that enables saving from a received email.

Can't find anything on web about this...only about networks adding/changing SMTP addresses. Nothing about "little consumers like me" trying to delete.

Using Outlook 2007, Internet Explorer 8

THANKS!
by virtualmike » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:22 am
That's a function of Outlook trying to "help" you by adding the transport mechanism to the address. It has nothing to do with Sonic.net's mail servers.

I'd recommend using your favorite search engine to look for strings such as "outlook smtp address" to find background and advice for dealing with this situation.
by lubec » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:05 pm
Thanks for reply. Yes, I know it's not Sonic-related. But I've tried everything...including seraching the web.. to no success, so thought I'd reach out to anyone that might know. Trying to avoide paying M/S tech support.
All I've found are references to newtwork folks wanting to add SMTP addresses or are dealing with them in some way...not related at all to this. Found 1 reference from a "plain ole' person" , and the answer was "Outlook didn't do this...you must have done something."
by virtualmike » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:21 pm
Try this with The Google: outlook email address smtp prefix

My experience, as a heavy user (by employer requirement, not choice) of Outlook is that it is inconsistent on how it formats and handles addresses. I have several correspondents whose mail sometimes, but not always, has the SMTP: prefix with addresses in the message. I had the same needs as you, so I haven't investigated to determine the differences between the messages that exhibit that phenomenon.
by lubec » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:40 pm
Thanks again. Will try that search string. Odd thing is that I've used Outlook for a whjile (about a year, proceeded by O/E) and this is the first occurrence. Maybe a year isn't that long for this type of glitch to show up.
by virtualmike » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:07 am
Why do you think some of us call it "Look Out!"?
by lubec » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:13 am
Follow up--
Problem was created by mapping change that I made (incorrectly) when creating csv file. Finally figured it out with help of Microsoft (paid). Duuuhh...Thanks for all your help.
7 posts Page 1 of 1