To many dead overhead wires

General discussions and other topics.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by Stefano » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:04 am
Hi,

The Inner Richmond Dist. in SF is a web of overheard wires, half of which are dead due to replacement from newer service providers.

Wouldn't if be great if Sonic, the best digital access provider on the West Coast, initiated a program where when a utility company replaces an exiting home utility line, that the old, now replaced and dead lines be ticketed for removal?

Please make it happen Sonic, help improve our neighborhoods. The city won't do it.

- Stefano
by wa2ibm » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:46 pm
That would be great for aesthetics, but those "dead" wires belong to their respective providers, who wouldn't be pleased if they were removed by another provider. About the only way that would happen is if the property owner requested the original provider remove them. Even then, I doubt it would happen, there's no money in removing your old infrastructure. It will rot in place.

Bill
by Kevin_Stephens » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:13 pm
I had my AT&T wire removed when I went to Comcast then had the Comcast wire removed when I went to Sonic Fiber the property owner is responsible to request the wires be removed from there property.
by virtualmike » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:23 pm
Not only is there a cost for the providers to remove the now-unused wires, but a future homeowner may have need for services using the copper. A provider doesn't want to incur the cost to remove the wires, then have additional cost to restore them. Therefore, it won't happen.
4 posts Page 1 of 1