Potentially moving to outer sunset...fiber availability?

General discussions and other topics.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
by Novium » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:20 pm
I currently have gigabit fiber here where I live in the Richmond, but I'm looking at potentially moving down towards the outer outer Sunset - think out by the zoo, something in the 30s or the 40s avenue wise and south of Taravel. Reading up, I see that there are bits of the sunset that have fiber, and bits that don't due to some utility problem. But I haven't been able to get a sense of where the coverage is/isn't.

Anyone know?
by dane » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:32 pm
Novium wrote:I currently have gigabit fiber here where I live in the Richmond, but I'm looking at potentially moving down towards the outer outer Sunset - think out by the zoo, something in the 30s or the 40s avenue wise and south of Taravel. Reading up, I see that there are bits of the sunset that have fiber, and bits that don't due to some utility problem. But I haven't been able to get a sense of where the coverage is/isn't.

Anyone know?
The vast majority of the Sunset and Parkside are covered with fiber. But, check the specific address on our website before making a commitment. http://sonic.com/availability
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Novium » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:35 pm
Okay, so it looks like the place is on the one (okay, one of two) blocks in all of the sunset that's not covered - what's the deal with that? (39th and Wawona) Any chance it'll be extended?
by dane » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:29 pm
Novium wrote:Okay, so it looks like the place is on the one (okay, one of two) blocks in all of the sunset that's not covered - what's the deal with that? (39th and Wawona) Any chance it'll be extended?
Pretty sure 39th is covered.. Is it on Wawona?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Novium » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:13 am
Yeah, it's on Wawona.
by rachelc258 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:15 am
Or rather, to be precise, it's on 39th avenue on the block that starts on Wawona and ends on Yorba.
by dane » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:59 pm
Looks like it's not covered currently, sorry!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by rachelc258 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:11 am
Any plans to cover it? Or is it a victim of that issue that's causing trouble north of Taravel? It looks like a lonely island without fiber surrounded by houses with fiber access.
by dane » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:36 am
rachelc258 wrote:Any plans to cover it? Or is it a victim of that issue that's causing trouble north of Taravel? It looks like a lonely island without fiber surrounded by houses with fiber access.
The issue there appears to be overloaded existing utility poles. Once those poles are reinforced or replaced by PG&E, we'd then be able to expand our deployment there.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by novium » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:28 pm
Ah. Drat. My roommate, who works at city hall, was all ready to go find out who she needed to pester, but PG&E is another matter. Thank you for taking the time to answer all my questions!
10 posts Page 1 of 1