Wi-Fi on/off switch

General discussions and other topics.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by susan555@sonic.net » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:33 pm
Hello Dane at Sonic!
Do you want to be cutting edge? Offer something really wanted by consumers that no other internet provider offers? Something MANY parents would pay BIG BUCKS for? I am daring you to do it!!! I'm talking about a way to turn the Wi-Fi OFF. As in preprogramed to go off automatically when wanted. I would like to turn the Wi-Fi off at dinner time every evening. Think of it....Family Time at the dinner table... No grumpy Moms & Dads nagging the kids to put the smart phones away. Currently the only way the Wi-Fi goes off is by unplugging it, which means someone (usually Mom) has to be the bad guy. This tends to take away from the Family Time experience. I propose having a way to preprogram the Wi-Fi to be OFF at a pre-selected time each day, IF one wants to (or not for those who don't want this added feature). Sonic could offer this cutting edge feature with its Wi-Fi package. Heck! I would PAY top dollar to have this service available to me and my family. I KNOW I am not the only parent who struggles with this issue. Think of all the increased revenue this could generate for Sonic. Giving parents a little more control over Wi-Fi use would be golden! Sonic could be ahead of the curve on this one! Please consider an On/Off switch for WI-FI! I dare you!
Thank you,
Concerned Parent, Susan
by danielg4 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:13 pm
susan555@sonic.net wrote:Offer something really wanted by consumers that no other internet provider offers?
I guess Comcast is "no other internet provider" now? In any case, even a cheapie home router can be configured to do this. It's just that Comcast actually markets the feature.
by AnonyMoose » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:09 pm
These features are available with most routers and some have an app you can download for your phone. If not, a script could be written. Even if you disable WIFI, most phones will just switch over and use mobile data for internet access. However, I think I saw in a forum post where Sonic is working on a mesh WIFI solution and maybe they can include your suggestion if there is a demand.
susan555@sonic.net wrote:Hello Dane at Sonic!
Do you want to be cutting edge? Offer something really wanted by consumers that no other internet provider offers? Something MANY parents would pay BIG BUCKS for? I am daring you to do it!!! I'm talking about a way to turn the Wi-Fi OFF. As in preprogramed to go off automatically when wanted. I would like to turn the Wi-Fi off at dinner time every evening. Think of it....Family Time at the dinner table... No grumpy Moms & Dads nagging the kids to put the smart phones away. Currently the only way the Wi-Fi goes off is by unplugging it, which means someone (usually Mom) has to be the bad guy. This tends to take away from the Family Time experience. I propose having a way to preprogram the Wi-Fi to be OFF at a pre-selected time each day, IF one wants to (or not for those who don't want this added feature). Sonic could offer this cutting edge feature with its Wi-Fi package. Heck! I would PAY top dollar to have this service available to me and my family. I KNOW I am not the only parent who struggles with this issue. Think of all the increased revenue this could generate for Sonic. Giving parents a little more control over Wi-Fi use would be golden! Sonic could be ahead of the curve on this one! Please consider an On/Off switch for WI-FI! I dare you!
Thank you,
Concerned Parent, Susan
3 posts Page 1 of 1