Wordpress - Does it work at Sonic - UPDATED - FIXED

General discussions and other topics.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by howardt » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:36 pm
Many of the posts I searched for with Wordpress are several years old.

Trying to find documentation on installing WP at Sonic but have not found anything that helps and support does not support WP.

In Member Tools I go the "Website Add-Ons" and select "Install Wordpress" and nothing happens. No ability to select a directory to install in or anything, just a blank screen.

UPDATE 07/02 11:58 -- Gave up on "one-click" install and installed WordPress myself and created MySQL database.
Created wp-config.php using appropriate data from MYSQL database.

Now I'm getting this error:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /nfs/www/WWW_pages/username/directory/wp-includes/load.php on line 1091

I also tried deleting wp-config.php and tried running wp-admin/install.php and get the same error.

UPDATE: 07/03 00:30 - Got it to work. Had to add an .htaccess file with various parameters. Finally found an old post from last year with the necessary details. A general list of instructions would have saved me several days of time.

Plius the day I lost when support messed up my DNS "CNAME" entries. Sonic used to have real good Tech Support but it seems that of late they have to put you on hold and ask someone else how to fix a problem. Guess it is the result of our good economy--plenty of jobs and not enough talent to fill them all.
by patty1 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:43 pm
Howard, the Sonic folks will gladly install WordPress for you. They'll also keep it updated; I occasionally get messages that there's been an update.
by danielg4 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:10 pm
patty1 wrote:They'll also keep it updated; I occasionally get messages that there's been an update.
No, WordPress will update itself and e-mail you.
by lauramezirka » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:34 pm
howardt: I'm thinking to move my WordPress to Sonic. Can you share the solution you found?
by howardt » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:30 am
This is what I put in the .htaccess file in the wp-includes directory

Action php-cgi /cgi-bin/php55
AddHandler php-cgi .php

# BEGIN WordPress

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /wordpress/index.php [L]
</IfModule>