Unauthenticated SMTP possible?

General discussions and other topics.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by gaudenti » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:10 pm
I know it's a weird thing in 2017 to expect an unauthenticated SMTP service from your ISP, but...

Just set up a new RAID at home and I want the Intel controller to send me email if the array goes degraded, but the controller's built-in email tool doesn't allow for user/pass to be sent to the SMTP server.

I assumed since I am definitely using a (static) IP from Sonic's IP pool I would be whitelisted on the SMTP server as a legit user, but this doesn't seem to be the case as my test emails sent from the controller mail agent fail (without any error of course).

So, does mail.sonic.net:25 (as seen on https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Quick_Reference_Guide) require authentication even if the source IP is from a Sonic end-user IP block?

FWIW I would rather not set up whatever horrid equivalent of Sendmail exists for Windows.
by kgc » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:42 pm
Sorry, but we don't offer unauthenticated SMTP any more for many reasons. You'll need to setup a SMTP service on your end to take care of it one way or another.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
2 posts Page 1 of 1