Is Microsoft blocking Sonic's IPs??

General discussions and other topics.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by bubba198 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:27 am
Got this when trying to send an e-mail using Yahoo mail -- using Yahoo's web GUI; not some locally loaded client:

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<xx@hotmail.com>:
550: SC-001 (BAY004-MC1F38) Unfortunately, messages from 98.137.71.xx weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list. You can also refer your provider to http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors.

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.
by drew.phillips » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:55 pm
It looks like maybe Microsoft is blocking Yahoo's IP addresses. The 98.137.71.xx address you referenced belongs to Yahoo. And if you sent from Yahoo's mail GUI to Hotmail, nothing about your Sonic IP address should be known to Hotmail.

If you have additional details you'd like to share, feel free to PM me details and we can investigate further.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by bubba198 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:34 pm
Oh boy I saw 198.... my bad. It isn't a Sonic problem
by drew.phillips » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:04 am
Wouldn't be the first time I've looked at an IP address and completely associated it with something else LOL!

I find that Yahoo and Hotmail frequently block each other, or pretty much any other provider if a tiny bit of spam goes through. Usually they don't last too long and you might have luck resending the message and having it go through a different server that isn't blocked.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
4 posts Page 1 of 1