Ubuntu question (with apologies)

General discussions and other topics.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by gilles » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:03 am
Newbie to Ubuntu and for the life of me I have not figured out how to post a question in the Ubuntu forums, so please bear with me; your patience is appreciated:
I have an older Acer One that I use for travelling and it has dual boot Ubuntu/Win10.
When it boots I get a menu that allows me to choose which OS to boot.
For reasons of obfuscation, I am trying to change the TEXT of option 4 which says something like "Boot Windows 10", can't figure out how to do it or even where that menu is located (I think it is /boot/grub/menu or menu.ls) but that does not work for me.
To be clear: I do not want to change the actual booting but do want to change the displayed text of the windows boot to something like "GRUB V22.02" or something else.
Would appreciate any help or, alternatively, if anyone has HANDS ON experience with posting a question on the Ubuntu forums that would be appreciated too (Note that the help I found in both Google and Ubuntu Forums appears to be outdated and incorrect; also, I am not registered there because I could not figure out how to do that either).
Just a bit frustrated here, have tried to do this for the past two hours!
Thanks to anyone who wants to take this on.
by plwww » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:23 pm
I haven't used their forums, so I can't offer advice on how to register beyond what I'd find googling. I do believe all their stuff uses the "Ubuntu One" account login; so you should be able to log in at ubuntuforums.org if you create the main Ubuntu account first at(https://login.ubuntu.com/).

And while I haven't used stock Ubuntu for a while, I might be able to point you at the right direction. I believe when grub is updated it builds a menu based upon templates in /etc/grub.d, then writes the menu likely to /boot/grub/grub.cfg(or some similar location, if that differs by distro I can't say). This will look different than the old style menu.ls configuration. Inside it you should have a number of "menuentry" items(along with other stuff). One should be for Windows and contain a 'single-quoted' string that equates to the menu name immediately following a "menuentry" keyword. It should be safe to change the text inside that quote to change the menu item text at boot. Every time grub is updated, however, this will be overwritten. I haven't explored how to automate this change, but it would likely require modification to the config in /etc/grub.d/. Whenever messing with boot configs, be sure to have a recovery method ready(bootable USB stick or the like) for in case something goes wrong and you need to undo the changes.
by forest » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:39 pm
You might find the Ask Ubuntu StackExchange site easier than ubuntuforums.org.
3 posts Page 1 of 1