DHCP change frequency for Sonic Fiber in SF

General discussions and other topics.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by terjestrand » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:00 am
Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but cannot find a direct answer searching existing forums. I know that there is no static ip offered for fiber, which I am ok with. I am also ok with setting up DDNS for my router.

Q: How often should I expect the dynamic IP address (of the router) change under normal circumstances, i.e. no power-off or restarts?

Alternatively: How often do other customers of the fiber service see their IP address change?

Why: My previous service (evil Comcast) never changed my IP over at least 3 years of service. Not a requirement that it is that infrequent, but would prefer to avoid to many (short lived) outages between DDNS checks/updates.
by sonic guest » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:54 pm
Most people won't be keeping track of this stuff. Fortunately for you I keep track for my parents who are on Fusion Fiber. Their IP has changed a couple of times but the last time was October 1, 2016, and they've powered off the modem over night several times since then. Prior to this cycle, their IP had changed once roughly every 1.5 months 3 times. My guess is Sonic was taking in new customers for Fiber and had to make infrastructure changes, which makes sense as any change involving back end services like DHCP, gateway routing, etc. should cause customers to receive a new IP from the pool.
by annjosh » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:55 pm
Has been changing here in SF about twice a month.
3 posts Page 1 of 1