Confused about Webmail mailboxes

General discussions and other topics.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by patty1 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:14 am
When I look at my Sonic email account via Webmail, why do I have mailboxes named "Deleted Messages" and "Trash"? They sound like the same thing.

And why do I have mailboxes called "Sent" and "Sent Messages"? The former seems to contain messages that I sent directly from Webmail (which I only do on rare occasions). The latter has ones that I sent from Apple Mail on my MacBook after I switched from POP to IMAP a couple of days ago. "Sent Messages" may exist because of the default Mail settings of storing messages on the server; it probably started backing up my MacBook's sent messages to Sonic's server. If I'm right, then turning off that capability should stop the behavior, and then I think I see where I can delete the "Sent Messages" mailbox on Webmail. Am I understanding this situation correctly?
by patty1 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:17 am
Oh, there's actually another folder called "DELETED_MESSAGES" that appears in Webmail's settings but not in its mailbox list on the mail screen.
by amayfield » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:55 am
Hello Patty,

The seemingly redundant folders is due to how Apple Mail manages emails. The "Trash" and "Sent" folders are standard Sonic webmail folders. "Deleted Messages" and "Sent Messages" are folders created by Apple Mail to accommodate specific functionality of that program. The "Deleted_Messages" folder is a standard Sonic webmail folder specifically used in tandem with a POP setup - in case you were to accidentally delete a message from your local machine, you could restore it from the Deleted_Messages folder on our servers (if retrieved fast enough, that folder is purged occasionally). I hope this helps answer your questions. If you need further clarification or have more questions please let me know.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by patty1 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:12 pm
Thank you, Andrew. Is it possible to delete "DELETED_MESSAGES" now that I've switched to IMAP and don't need that POP mailbox any longer?
by amayfield » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:19 pm
Sorry, there isn't a way to remove the "DELETED_MESSAGES" folder. But that folder will not impact the functionality of your Sonic mail service - it is only used in the event of a POP set up, it will remain unused on your IMAP set up.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by patty1 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:25 pm
Okay, thanks, I'll just hide it so it doesn't annoy me. :-)
6 posts Page 1 of 1