Installation steps

General discussions and other topics.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by Alvinator415 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:11 pm
Hi, is Sonic using fiber optic cable for my Internet connection? Meaning, no dish or drilling holes through the walls, right? Is it similar to Xfinity? Just need a modem and phone line and it is ready to go?
-A
by dane » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:06 am
It depends. If the service available in your location is xDSL-based, it'd come in over the existing copper telephone lines. You can self-install the service, because it's just plugged into an existing jack.

But if you're offered gigabit fiber, that'd be a new cable brought to the house, which may mean drilling a hole. Or, sometimes they can re-use an existing hole. The installer will figure that out on the day of installation.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by yww » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:15 pm
Dane, Sonic is currently installing in our neighborhood in Brentwood and I'm seriously thinking of signing up. So what you are saying is our existing landline phone jacks as well as coaxial cable jacks are totally useless then for gigabit internet and phone connection. Correct?
by miken » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:30 am
yww wrote:Dane, Sonic is currently installing in our neighborhood in Brentwood and I'm seriously thinking of signing up. So what you are saying is our existing landline phone jacks as well as coaxial cable jacks are totally useless then for gigabit internet and phone connection. Correct?
In some circumstances, we can use the existing phone wiring for the phone portion of our Gigabit service and still use those jacks. However, it depends on how your wiring is set up. On the day of installation, you can work with our installer and let them know what you'd like to do and they can discuss what's possible with the existing wiring. :)
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1