by 6vpi » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:10 pm
Hi Folks--

Verizon pulled fiber along the poles down my street in
El Sobrante. I saw the trucks and asked the crew what
was up and that's what they told me.

Does sonic know? Can sonic deliver fiber to my address
using the verizon bundle?

Of course "tech friendly" sonic still won't route my
slash twenty four (class C to us neckbeards). cough.

Hoping for the best....
by virtualmike » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:19 pm
That's odd, as El Sobrante is AT&T territory. Unless the truck belongs to a contractor who does work for AT&T and Verizon (and other companies), and it keeps the Verizon logo on the vehicle.
by wa2ibm » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:13 pm
That is odd. Unless Verizon is pulling fiber around the area as backhaul for their own Cell network. I'd think they'd contract with AT&T or another fiber provider for this, but you never know.

Bill
by virtualmike » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:16 pm
That's usually the case--the cell providers normally lease bandwidth from the ILEC to connect the towers.
by dane » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:47 pm
In a modern small-cell deployment, mobile carriers have dedicated fiber built from each new small cell site back to the legacy "macro" cell tower, a cellular radio access network (C-RAN) architecture. (Also known as "fiber-to-the-tower", or FTTT.) For everything you ever wanted to know about C-RAN, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-RAN

Fiber for mobile backhaul is distinct from consumer last-mile access, so this wouldn't help anyone with fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) service.

That said, in the long term, you will see mobile carriers competing with fixed-line providers for residential services. This is part of the 5G evolution of wireless services. So eventually, the mobile carriers are likely to be a residential competitor for us.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
5 posts Page 1 of 1