Wonder if Sonic has IRC or Slack channel? <oem>

General discussions and other topics.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
by yuriw » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:18 pm
Wonder if Sonic has IRC or Slack channel? <oem>
by yuriw » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:14 am
I guess not :(

I found Sonic support via Facebook/Message be great!

Suggestion to Sonic - consider hosting Slack/IRC channel(s) as compliment to this forum, it'd make Sonic look unique compare to competition and great way to support users, also I think support cost will go down !

@Dane
by dane » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:36 am
We have an idle one that we used to use for internal work, that I'm considering opening to the public. But, we wouldn't be able to commit to consistent staff participation or response, as we already monitor a lot of communication channels. Would it still be interesting, for customer chat?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by yuriw » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:15 am
My vote is YES
by dherr » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:43 am
If we are voting: No
by virtualmike » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:21 pm
As a customer, I'd prefer not to have to monitor another communication channel. Even if it's only for customer chat, there will be a number of issues raised there.

Even if staff doesn't respond, someone will have to moderate it, unless you want to allow it to run amok.
by yuriw » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:24 am
virtualmike wrote:As a customer, I'd prefer not to have to monitor another communication channel. Even if it's only for customer chat, there will be a number of issues raised there.

Even if staff doesn't respond, someone will have to moderate it, unless you want to allow it to run amok.
The idea of a live channel is not necessarily to have "customer" support per se, but rather being able to ask/answer question with community of people around some set of issues and have it as "live" as well as searchable at later time. Good example would be pen source communities like ubuntu https://community.ubuntu.com/contribute/support/irc/

Moderation does take some effort, but I the overall cost would go down and it maybe beneficial to customers as well as to Sonic
by dane » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:33 am
Searchability is a challenge with Slack, because the free/community version only offers 10,000 items of history.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by drew.phillips » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:51 am
I wonder, would we want to limit chat to Sonic customers with valid usernames and passwords (for authentication)?

Since we have telephone, email, SMS, forums, and social media open for questions from potential customers, I would question if we wanted to give people a way around that which could open up the possibility of getting told something that is outdated or incorrect (whether by staff or another party).

Also, moderation efforts would probably go way up if anyone could connect and chat.

I think if we did opt to require authentication, it might open up our options to different solutions that might be less feasible if chat were open to the world.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by dane » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:57 am
The way that Slack can be set up is to limit access to folks with a valid email address at a domain, so we'd set this up allowing anyone to join who had an @sonic.net email address. But I don't expect that we'd have staff participation there in any coordinated fashion - we do that via SMS, email, Twitter and Facebook already, in addition to the call center, and I don't see a chatroom being a support venue.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
10 posts Page 1 of 1