Phone wiring repair

General discussions and other topics.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by samccormack » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:35 am
Hi all,

Just got my sonic service going and in the process discovered that someone/something cut my telephone lines! I live in a condo so I don't have a crawl space or attic so finding the cut involved finding the main feed from outside (luckily the cut was made in my unit and not outside) cutting into the wall in a closet where the line comes in and discovering that I could pull the inside end all the way out and finding a clean cut on the other end! I've got my phone lines going by running the length of cable out of the hole in the wall taped to the ceiling (yes ghetto but hopefully only temporary) and connected to a jack so I could plug in the DSL modem and back feed dial tone to 2 of the 3 jacks in my unit.

Ideally I want to get the cable run back into the wall and reconnected with the existing wiring in the house so everything is back inside the walls like it should be. All the telco/electrician types I've talked to so far have just suggested running new wire along base boards and under carpets but I really hate doing that and I am willing to make a few holes in the walls/ceiling to get things fixed. I am in the Concord area if anyone has any reliable and inexpensive suggestions.

Thanks
Scott
by virtualmike » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:24 pm
You probably want to find an electrician who is able to fish wires through the walls and restore everything to the original state.

Just make sure the electrician uses the same sort of wire that's already there (twisted pair, NOT quad cable like is sold in most stores).

I just looked in the Concord yellow pages, and there are a few companies that claim to do installation or maintenance; one even says "jacks - added - moved - repaired." Companies like that likely would use twisted pair wire. (I looked under "Telecommunications" and "Telephone."
2 posts Page 1 of 1