Sonic vs AT&T

General discussions and other topics.
18 posts Page 1 of 2
by gshubin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:53 pm
I just sent an email to tech support but thought I'd ask here too. I've been poking around trying to come up with alternatives to my current phone/internet situation. I've have Sonic for 10 years or so and would am happy with the service. I noticed on the AT&T website that they offer DSL without local phone service. Can Sonic offer the same thing? (I.e. just tell AT&T to cancel my POTS but keep sonic DSL?)

Also, AT&T offers free nationwide wifi as a freebie with their DSL. I guess that means you get an ID and password that you can use at any AT&T or AT&T partner hotspot. Can Sonic also offer the same?
by virtualmike » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:19 pm
I'm only addressing the second point in your message...

I've been doing a lot of traveling over the last few years, and lately, I don't seem to have any issue finding free (or very cheap) wifi near the places that offer AT&T wifi. It appears that AT&T "advantage" is eroding.

I just wish that the places where we've paid to spend the night had wifi systems that actually worked.

Don't forget that AT&T DSL includes usage caps.
by dane » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:23 pm
Is it safe to assume that the new Fusion service is not available where you are located?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by gshubin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:38 pm
dane wrote:Is it safe to assume that the new Fusion service is not available where you are located?
LOL. I am out in the sticks between Sacramento and Truckee. I put in my phone number for Fusion and it came back and told me DSL was not available. This was on the DSL line I was using at the number.

In fact I tried getting DSL for a few years when we first moved in only to be told by AT&T and Sonic that it wasn't available, even thought the next door neighbor who is at the end of the line had it. One day an AT&T tech came out for another reason and said he saw the DSL "box" on the pole nearby, went back to the office and fixed the records.
by gshubin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:20 pm
How do I find out if I can get Fusion? If I have ADSL1 does that mean I can get it?
by wa2ibm » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:16 pm
Use Sonic's Fusion qualification tool to see:

http://sonic.net/solutions/home/internet/fusion/
by gshubin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:49 pm
I tried that (see 2nd post above yours). It said DSL was not available. This came over the DSL line I was using at the time.
by Jack Armstrong » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:38 pm
I'm in Truckee and got the same "DSL not available" -- also using AT&T DSL at the time -- is the tool flaky, or does AT&T offer their DSL in more areas than Sonic?
by gshubin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:21 pm
Jack Armstrong wrote:I'm in Truckee and got the same "DSL not available" -- also using AT&T DSL at the time -- is the tool flaky, or does AT&T offer their DSL in more areas than Sonic?
I am on Sonic DSL. I just got an email reply from Sonic support saying that I was over 21,000 feet from the CO, which is way too far for Fusion. Yet I have the Pro service which might indicate a shorter distance. My speed tests are usually in the 2.4 Mbps range. I think there is a Remote Terminal closer that I am connected to.

I think AT&T's records are messed up and they never update them. I moved here almost 8 years ago and spent the first few years on dialup even though the DSL equipment had been installed and the next door neighbor had it. The phone company swore up and down that I could not get it.

EDIT: I just ran a speed test and got 2.56/0.43 Mbps.
by virtualmike » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:21 pm
gshubin wrote:EDIT: I just ran a speed test and got 2.56/0.43 Mbps.
That would suggest you're on a line capped at 3 Mbps, as illustrated here.
18 posts Page 1 of 2