Sonic vs AT&T

General discussions and other topics.
18 posts Page 2 of 2
by gshubin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:34 pm
virtualmike wrote:
gshubin wrote:EDIT: I just ran a speed test and got 2.56/0.43 Mbps.
That would suggest you're on a line capped at 3 Mbps, as illustrated here.
Yes, the Pro service is 1.5-3.0 download speed. The physical line is most likely capable of higher speeds since I am at the upper limit.
by virtualmike » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:53 am
gshubin wrote:Yes, the Pro service is 1.5-3.0 download speed. The physical line is most likely capable of higher speeds since I am at the upper limit.
Unfortunately, another issue with AT&T is that it sets caps based on length of copper from the DSLAM, not the line's quality.

My Fusion line is capped at 11 Mbps, and in testing, has exceeded 13 Mbps. However, before Fusion was avaiilable in my neighborhood, AT&T limited me to Pro at 3 Mbps

Of course, by being so conservative, it means fewer calls to deal with poor line quality, as the line isn't being pushed to its limits.
by gshubin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:55 am
To complicate matters I found this on another forum:

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread ... ce-from-CO
Its probably disabled because they don't have the data necessary to
provide anything close to reality. The facilities based LECs have
deployed remote DSLAMs all over the place in hundreds of satellites in
each of the many hundreds of rate centers all over the country, and
you really need to know how far away you are from a remote DSLAM, not
the CO. Since the LECs don't publish that info (unlike where everybody
knows where the COs are), knowing the distance from the CO to you
tells you nothing.

The only way to really know what you can get is to talk to the LEC to
run you through their prequal system, which does take into account all
the remote equipment in the field, not just a pure CO to you distance
loop, but as I said, this info isn't public.
and a reply:
Don't forget that if you're not an ATT customer (if you have DSL through
someone else) that even though they're the last mile provider, you're
gonna have to get that information from your provider, ATT won't even
talk to you.
by virtualmike » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:40 am
The tool at DSLreports also guessed/approximated the distance from the CO to the given address.

"Distance from CO" cannot be measured by looking at a map, unless Google now has a layer to show routing of telephone cables. :-) Most definitely, it is not "as the crow flies."

The straight-line distance between my house and the CO is approximately 2,700 feet. The copper length is between 5,500 and 8,200 feet (those are the two numbers I've been given). The cables from the CO follow streets, railroad tracks, canals, and other geographical features. If anything, the "crow flight" distance is likely to be shortest leg of a rough triangle.
by gshubin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:37 pm
OK, got the answer back from Sonic support. I am on an RT but Fusion is only supported direct to the CO. I also found a discussion on dslreports about this from 2009 (Dane was involved).

I thought ADSL2 equipment was available for RTs. Maybe it's an AT&T restriction.
by virtualmike » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:56 pm
gshubin wrote:I thought ADSL2 equipment was available for RTs. Maybe it's an AT&T restriction.
I don't think AT&T is deploying any ADSL2+ equipment in its service area.

Sonic.net's Fusion product requires equipment owned by Sonic.net to be installed in AT&T's facilities. Not only are the RTs too small for colo equipment, but then Sonic.net would have to maintain equipment in hundreds of RTs, which are usually unmanned and locked. It's a different matter to install and maintain Fusion equipment in COs, where there's space, and in most cases, personnel during office hours.
by Devin Koch » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:21 am
We offer wireless broadband in and around Truckee to Donner Summit. Maybe we can help you that way? Exwire.com Speeds will be up to 10 mb/sec starting in May in some regions. No tiny throughput limits like 3G and satellite. Faster uploads that DSL. We also sell Sonic's DSL. Dane may be able to correct me now but I don't think Fusion is available anywhere in this region. They are working on Sacramento now.
by dane » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:24 pm
This is correct, the furthest East that Fusion is available is Orangevale.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
18 posts Page 2 of 2