Do the sonic servers support Push-IMAP

General discussions and other topics.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by alun » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:41 am
Like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push-IMAP ?

thanks

Alun.
by kgc » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:47 pm
Yes!
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by struesdell » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:37 pm
How do you get the push feature of the IMAP to work using iOS mail? I followed the instructions for setting up sonic email
On my iPhone. It says it's using the IMAP servers... but the only choices to check email is either "fetch" or "manual" push isn't an option to select. Help because I want my new mail to push!!
by drew.phillips » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:56 pm
struesdell wrote:How do you get the push feature of the IMAP to work using iOS mail? I followed the instructions for setting up sonic email
On my iPhone. It says it's using the IMAP servers... but the only choices to check email is either "fetch" or "manual" push isn't an option to select. Help because I want my new mail to push!!
We support Push by means of the IMAP "IDLE" command but I did some research and iOS Mail doesn't support it unless you're "on power" (plugged in?) and connected to WiFi. For a while, this option went away completely and was brought back in iOS 11. Under the "Fetch Schedule", it's enabled if you see "Automatic" as an option.

Unfortunately, this still isn't desirable for the most part. The only other solution would be to find a 3rd party email app that supports IDLE. This just means your phone keeps a low-bandwidth connection open to our IMAP servers so we can send a notification when mail arrives.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by struesdell » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:12 pm
Thank you for looking into this for me! You folks at Sonic are top notch!
5 posts Page 1 of 1