Sonic's uptime (reliability)?

General discussions and other topics.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:15 pm
One of your techs suggested posting the first question here for Dane's response (I've added two others):
1. Uptime?
2. Transfer domain to Fusion?
3. Advice on quality of wiring post network interface?

1. Please give me the stats for the uptime of the services (phone and Internet) in San Francisco for the past 12 months. Also the past six months if different by more than 0.04%.

2. I understand that it's not possible to transfer my existing domain to Fusion service. Any plans to make that possible?

3. I'm about to have the internal wiring re-connected using a private tech. Any advice on testing the wires and what standards they should meet? If they're to be replaced does normal telephone wiring do the trick? or is there something better that I should use? I estimate that the distance from the NI to my jack to be 120', more or less.

Richard
by virtualmike » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:06 pm
I can't answer #1, so I'll leave that for Dane.

#2: Fusion is not a hosting service, it's just one of the ways that Sonic.net provides connectivity. Sonic.net also provides hosting, domain registration, and DNS, all of which operate independently from the access (which can be Fusion, traditional DSL, dialup, wireless, etc. I transferred my domain (and its registration) to Sonic.net slightly over a year ago, and I've been very pleased. I transferred from GoDaddy, who was very uncooperative, but the great team at Sonic.net Support worked around all of GoDaddy's attempts to prevent the transfer.

#3. Ensure the inside wiring is at least newer twisted pair. CAT5 is much preferred. Do NOT use traditional "quad" phone wiring. If that's what currently exists, run CAT5 or better.
by dane » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:31 pm
Regarding the first item, uptime, we publish all news about the network, including outages in our MOTD/system messages. You can find data back to 1997 here: http://corp.sonic.net/status/. I may be wrong, but I don't recall any outages on the Fusion product over the last year.

In regards to hosting, Fusion service now includes free Personal Web Hosting - this includes a free new domain registration. We cover the cost for the first year, registration is $9.95/yr after that today. Sorry it is limited to new domains currently, we did this to eliminate the potential domain and website transfer support burden for this free feature. We hope customers enjoy the free hosting of a free new domain.

For a transferred domain, our registration fee is the $9.95/yr, and our lowest level hosting is the Value Hosting option at $9.95/mo. With this you also get much more storage, bandwidth and email boxes than the Personal Web Hosting tier.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by gp1628 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:38 am
I cant answer the others but as far as uptime I think outages have been sectional only, and very quickly fixed. They have great redundancy of services. More than most IMHO

I still cant believe that Sonic posts all of the MOTDs that they do. Often the repairs and major upgrades happen faster than users would even notice. Or at least faster than they would be complained about. Most ISPs would never publish anything saying they were broke and what was done unless it was major enough and went long enough for users to demand the answer.

Gandalf Parker
by virtualmike » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:30 pm
gp1628 wrote:Most ISPs would never publish anything saying they were broke and what was done unless it was major enough and went long enough for users to demand the answer.
In my experience, almost all other ISPs deny there are ever any situations with their networks. Most other ISPs also require their support staff to go through a script to troubleshoot an issue, even if the reporting party starts the call with "<service> is not working, and here's what I've tried to resolve it."
5 posts Page 1 of 1