How do I change my username?

General discussions and other topics.
30 posts Page 1 of 3
by tikvah » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:07 am
I want to be Cyndi, not Tikvah. It made me login with my Sonic account name and I never got to pick a username.

Thanks,
Cyndi
by gkeller » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:53 am
Cyndi,

Our support staff should be able to get this done for you. They can check on the availability of the user name, and get the process started for you. They can be reached at 707-522-1000.
Grant Keller
Sonic.net System Operations
by tikvah » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:28 pm
Really? You can't make this an option in the profile? You realize I'm just talking about my username in these forums, right? I don't care what my username is for Sonic accounts, since no one but me and you ever see it.
by augie » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:33 pm
Cyndi,

You cannot change your forum user-name, you can log in with any valid Sonic.net user-name, primary account, mailbox, etc.

I hope that helps.
by joemuller » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:25 pm
Actually, you can, in a way, do it:
1.) Create a new mailbox on your account (https://members.sonic.net/email/mailboxes/)
2.) Log in to the forums using the name of that mailbox and its password.

Please note that your mailbox login has a different profile from your main login.
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by dane » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:23 pm
Looks like someone added an item to the knowledgebase that addresses this topic:

https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Forums

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:59 pm
An excellent solution. Brought my avatar with me.
by tikvah » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:13 am
These are not solutions. I already have several posts under this name. Also my preferred username (or any of my common variations) is not available as a mailbox (I don't care about elsewhere that since I only use mailboxes as a means to an end and I can pick my own usernames to pair with my own domains). I've never seen a forum I can recall that doesn't let you do something as simple as change a username. I don't mind waiting if there are other things more pressing on your to-do list (like allowing people to change email addresses). Just please don't claim the problem is solved when it's not.
by dane » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:58 am
You wouldn't be able to change to a username that was already taken by another Sonic.net customer.

The Sonic.net user database and namespace is what is used by the forum, so if you are not interested in using the current username you have, creating a sub-account is the best way. This is because of the intentional linkage between the forum authentication and Sonic.net account authentication: one account serves both.

Hope that makes sense.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by tikvah » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:01 am
If I create another mailbox to get a new username, can I switch to that username but still keep my post history as Tikvah?
30 posts Page 1 of 3