How do I change my username?

General discussions and other topics.
30 posts Page 2 of 3
by dane » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:42 am
I don't believe we'd have any way to transfer posts from one user to another - these nine posts would live on as "Tikvah", unless you deleted them.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by williamt » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:44 am
tikvah wrote:If I create another mailbox to get a new username, can I switch to that username but still keep my post history as Tikvah?
Hi Cyndi,

If you change your sonic.net username, PM me in the forum before you login with it and I will convert your tikvah account over to your new. This will allow you to keep your post history.

-william
Sr. Systems Administrator @ sonic.net
by dane » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:52 am
William,

Changing the main Sonic.net username is a BIG event here, and there is a $5 fee for it due to the work involved for our team. It affects many components, and is generally not a good idea. Adding an alias (if inbound email address is the goal) or mailbox (if forum login is the goal) is a much lower impact solution.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by williamt » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:56 am
dane wrote:William,

Changing the main Sonic.net username is a BIG event here, and there is a $5 fee for it due to the work involved for our team. It affects many components, and is generally not a good idea. Adding an alias (if inbound email address is the goal) or mailbox (if forum login is the goal) is a much lower impact solution.

-Dane
Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant to say if she added the mailbox to her account that she wanted to use in the forum, I would change the name in the forum so she kept her posting history. I was not trying to suggest she changed her main sonic.net username.
by dane » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:00 am
Okay, perfect! If you can copy the posts over from one username to another, that would be a win/win. :)

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by orm » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:30 pm
Interesting... okay... my sitch:
Started a thread with primary account name, one post. THIS is a mailbox account... want to keep account username off forums, but it's the first post in a thread... the single post count, woulda been a bonus, but nothing to worry about... will this delete my active thread if I want to delete that POST!? Not trying to make waves:

I understood that as you meant it wt.
Dane, thanks for the wiki article.
Converting user posts is a nice offer, but I won't be able to take advantage obviously.
by virtualmike » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:44 pm
williamt wrote:...PM me in the forum before you login with it and I will convert your <deleted> account over to your new. This will allow you to keep your post history.
D'oh! I saw that after I'd started posting with the new ID. I presume there's no way to merge the messages from the IDs?

I'm not concerned about having existing messages reflect my new username here, although I'd prefer not to have them reflect the primary ID on my account. It's better not to delete them, though, as that would leave holes in the threads.

Would I need to dedicate another mailbox for this? Or would it be possible to change the posting ID to something that's invalid as a login ID?
by kgc » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:46 pm
virtualmike wrote:Would I need to dedicate another mailbox for this? Or would it be possible to change the posting ID to something that's invalid as a login ID?
At this time, it has to be another valid account.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by virtualmike » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:01 pm
kgc wrote:At this time, it has to be another valid account.
Ok, I've created one. I'll send the information to William via PM to have the messages moved to the new ID.

Hypothetically, does anything break if I later reclaim that mailbox? :twisted:
by williamt » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:53 am
virtualmike wrote: Hypothetically, does anything break if I later reclaim that mailbox? :twisted:
You would lose your access to the forums since they are tied together.
30 posts Page 2 of 3