How do I change my username?

General discussions and other topics.
30 posts Page 3 of 3
by virtualmike » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:36 pm
williamt wrote:
virtualmike wrote: Hypothetically, does anything break if I later reclaim that mailbox? :twisted:
You would lose your access to the forums since they are tied together.
I presume you mean I would lose access to the forums with that address? However, if I didn't intend to make any further postings with that address, hypothetically, would it matter? ;)
by kgc » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:57 pm
Nope.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by farmerbrown » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:19 am
I'm with Cyndi on this issue.

Being able to choose a different username or create a handle to use only on Sonic forums can help users either become anonymous or more visible, as they choose.

I've created this farmerbrown email account, but that is a temporary workaround, I hope.
by thulsa_doom » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:41 pm
My only concern about letting folks arbitrarily change their displayed usernames here would be the possibility of somebody wanting to post under a name already in-use as a Sonic.net username. Who gets to be "Dane" if not the person who owns the dane@sonic.net account? Setting up a specific-use mailbox account strikes me as a fairly reasonable work-around for people that don't want to reveal their main account ID on the forums.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by dane » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:11 pm
Bingo. Need the namespace to remain integrated and unique.

We should write a how-to for those who prefer not to use their primary username, and make it sticky in the General forum.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mollyf-sonic-forum » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:31 pm
Is there any password security benefit to creating a special forum username? I don't know whether I'm right or wrong, but I believe I'd be in worse trouble if my main Sonic.net username and password were stolen than the throwaway usernames and passwords I use on any other phpBB forum.

I followed the instructions here and it was a breeze, but a sticky is a good idea.
by dane » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:33 pm
No, the main benefit is simply the ability to be anonymous. Some folks prefer not to use their Sonic.net username - which is also typically their email address - in a forum.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bobrk » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:56 pm
dane wrote:No, the main benefit is simply the ability to be anonymous. Some folks prefer not to use their Sonic.net username - which is also typically their email address - in a forum.
Is this forum readable by those who are not Sonic customers? I know that's not the issue, but just curious.
by dane » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:10 pm
Yup, non-customers can both read and post. Spammers will be shot. :)

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bobrk » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:30 pm
Excellent! ;)
30 posts Page 3 of 3