Webmail Upgraded

General discussions and other topics.
24 posts Page 2 of 3
by drew.phillips » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:36 pm
yfio wrote:
sundial wrote:Another issue with Inbox list view, if I delete a selected message, then the next message is selected. I think the selection marker should be cleared, not applied to another message.
I agree that this is a problem, and a changed behavior.

I right-clicked on an email, and selected delete. The next email got checked. I right-clicked on another email, and selected delete, and they were both deleted, the one I requested and the one with the auto-check. This is not an improvement, this is a defect. I should not have to be this careful to avoid unrequested actions, especially deletions.
The symptom you describe is actually a bug in the context menu plugin that manifested between Roundcube versions (we updated the context menu as well but it still has a bug). When right-clicking on another message, it did not properly clear the list of selected messages roundcube keeps. I've created a patch, notified the developer, and hot patched webmail a few minutes ago.

This was unrelated to the next message being automatically selected after deleting a message, but based on your feedback this behaviour is no longer the default so after deleting a message, the next one is not selected.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by drew.phillips » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:38 pm
mrpasini wrote:
drew.phillips wrote:Since it happens so fast, a notification that says "Refreshing..." appears and then disappears after a split second.
I think that must be what I'm seeing in List view. Something like that is going on in Compose, too, though.

But why is a "notification" the user can't read happening at all?

In List view, the results of the refresh would be immediately apparent if there are any new messages. No need for a notification. No need for a notification if there are _not_ any new messages either.

And, as you point out, they should be suppressed in Compose all together.

It just looked to me like it was a using monitoring device during debugging that should have been disabled on release.
The same refresh task takes place when composing and also shows the split second notification. The only good it does in composing is keep your session alive so you don't get logged out.

When the client goes to make a request to the server, before making the request, it shows the notification, and as soon as it gets a response back from the server it hides it. Since it happens so quickly in most cases, it appears as just a flash.

What they should probably do is defer the loading message from appearing for a half-second or so and show it after that if it's still necessary. I'll report this but it probably won't change for a few months.
Drew Phillips
by mrpasini » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:01 pm
drew.phillips wrote: What they should probably do is defer the loading message from appearing for a half-second or so and show it after that if it's still necessary. I'll report this but it probably won't change for a few months.
Thanks.
by ankh » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:19 pm
A wishlist/plea for Sonic webmail:

Wish: that the "view original" button displayed would offer as an option the original exactly as received without SpamAssassain headers added. Show and save what I'd see with a Unix mail system, nothing more or less.

Because: to report spam to Spamcop.net, I need the full original message without the added SpamAssasain headers.

Yes, I can use that button, choose to download the .eml file, open that with a text editor, figure out how much of it is the original, select that, copi it, and go paste it into the Spamcop reporting system. This is the best simplest way I've found so far to get the original.

Other things that didn't work: Mac mail used to allow viewing the original; that's gone since Mavericks.
Sonic Webmail's "view original" option to open the original loses all the useful headers.
Ditto for looking at it with Thunderbird.
by drew.phillips » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:08 pm
ankh wrote:A wishlist/plea for Sonic webmail:

Wish: that the "view original" button displayed would offer as an option the original exactly as received without SpamAssassain headers added. Show and save what I'd see with a Unix mail system, nothing more or less.

Because: to report spam to Spamcop.net, I need the full original message without the added SpamAssasain headers.

Sonic Webmail's "view original" option to open the original loses all the useful headers.
Ditto for looking at it with Thunderbird.
Where are you seeing the "view original" button in webmail? Do you actually mean "Show Source"?

In webmail, you can easily get the entire contents (headers & body) of a message by selecting it in the list, clicking "More", and "Show Source". This shows the message headers and content exactly as it is on the IMAP server.

True, the SpamAssassin headers get injected as the message enters Sonic's mail system but this happens before the final delivery so those headers become part of the message and you'll have to remove them if you want to give them to SpamCop without the headers. Everything below the X-Spam-* headers is an unmodified copy of the message.

In Thunderbird, you can press Control+U to view the source of the message, but the spam headers will also be there because the message has passed through our spam filters and that point and had the content analysis added.

Basically, everything below the "Received: from *.mx.sonic.net (*.spam-proxy.sonic.net [xx.xx.xxx.xx]) by x.spam.sonic.net..." is the "original" content of the message. You can remove the headers above this, but take care to leave the envelope (Return-Path and/or Envelope-To) header.

Hope that helps.
Drew Phillips
by ankh » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:17 pm
There are two different ways to view, as text, the spam with the SpamAssasin additions.
One is a link, upper right of the screen when viewing mail, that offers the original mail as a .eml file.
What it actually offers is not the original original, but the SpamAssasin-modified original.
The other is the "view raw" option down in the menus, which offers the same SpamAssasin-modified original.

I understand that. I understand how to get the original out by looking into it and choosing just the original and copying that, omitting the part SpamAssasin has added.

My wishlist is to automate exactly the part you refer to.
That's the part I currently have to do for each message -- taking out what SpamAssasin has added.

I'm wishing Webmail could be giving me the original mail -- exactly what Spamcop wants to get in a report.
Nothing more, nothing less, just what came in originally.

I know the interfaces are trying to be helpful by adding stuff and not showing stuff.
I'm asking if it's possible to get the original, without the help that makes it more of a nuisance to report.

I know it's not possible _now_.

This is a wishlist item. Hope that's clear.
by drew.phillips » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:42 pm
They can't really know what the original is vs. the spamassassin headers added, because they were added by a mail server that handled mail before the final delivery. In this case you're really just interested in removing the spamassassin. headers.

If you're a linux user, it should be fairly straightforward to write a string of grep and sed commands to strip out those headers. The hardest part is the "line folding" where some of the headers can span multiple lines.

Here is something that should work:

Code: Select all

cat /tmp/message.txt | perl -e 'my $message; while(<>) { $message .= $_; } print $message =~ s/^X-Spam-[^\n]+\n(\s+[^\n]+\n)*//mgr;'
Save the message content to /tmp/message.txt and run the above command and it'll print it out with the X-Spam headers removed, folded lines included.
Drew Phillips
by ankh » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:47 pm
Well, I could stumble around a bit with Unix when I first joined Sonic with a 1200 baud dialup, but haven't kept up.
I'll save that and can probably work my way up to using it, eventually, for which many thanks. Glad to know it at least should work.

Is it possible to add a button in Webmail to do that?

Don't do that just for me (grin). I've got workarounds and the above to study.

If it would be useful to encourage customers to report Graymail (and spam that gets past Graymail) to Spamcop -- that suggests it could be done.

Again, thanks; I'll keep poking at it.
by kgc » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:54 am
There's no need to remove the SpamAssassin headers, or any other headers added by our mail servers, before reporting them to SpamCop. (I've been doing it for more than a decade.)
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by ankh » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:41 am
Well, I asked because it doesn't work for me without removing the added headers.
Your coworkers have looked into it and seem to agree it happens.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2540
Is there anything you may be doing differently?

I'll try again with the next spam that shows up in Graymail, since webmail has upgraded -- first by using 'forward as attachment' to my Spamcop reporting address
24 posts Page 2 of 3