New Post Markings

General discussions and other topics.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by tikvah » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:04 am
This is my second visit to the forums and, naturally, I want to read only those posts I haven't read before. I see there are different colors on threads in the forum listings but there is no key to them! I'm guessing that blue means I've read the thread and red means I haven't. But I can't tell which are threads I've read but that have new comments in them. There is also a star in some which seems to mean I commented on the thread.

One of the threads I commented on had new replies and I was emailed notifications of that. But the notifications maddeningly just say that there is a new reply. It doesn't tell me what was said. So to read it I have to click on the link to see it.

WHICH RESETS MY "LAST VISIT" DATE.

And screws up all the colors and "first unread post" links and everything else indicating what I've read.

I realize this is probably SOP for the forum software you're using but there's got to be a better way. It would be fantastic if you could start by showing the text (and author) of the reply when I get an email notification. It won't help if I want to respond (I'll still have to show myself on the site). The other thing I ask is a key on every page (that uses it) explaining what the different colors/markers mean. At this point I feel like I have to read everything starting from scratch. I don't have a clue where my place is. Not a huge deal at this point with so few posts, but will be a lot more frustrating as time passes.\

Again, thanks for setting up the forums. I just want the experience of reading them to be more productive.
by dane » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:18 pm
I can't claim to be a PHPBB expert - I use the red indications, and then the "go to new message" icon on the right, and that seems to work well. When I click to visit a thread that I get a notification on, then go back to the main forum page, it still shows red "unread messages" indications next to other forums which I haven't visited yet.

Anyone else have any tips?

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bobino » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:26 am
Here's my workflow. I think this only works because this forum has very few new messages each day.

1. Start with the forum index page.
2. Click "View unread posts"
3. For each thread I'm interested in reading, click the little Image such that it opens a new tab. I have Firefox configured to open a new tab with a middle button click. This does not switch to the new tab.
4. Click the "back" button to return to the main forum index.
5. Click "Mark forums read"
6. Read each thread, deleting tab when done.

-Bob
3 posts Page 1 of 1