Company going public?

General discussions and other topics.
13 posts Page 1 of 2
by Guest » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:39 pm
Are there thoughts of taking your company public?
by dane » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:06 pm
Guest wrote:Are there thoughts of taking your company public?
Nope.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mythgard » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:18 pm
I would just like to say from working for companies that have gone public in the past - staying private is the best option for companies that have a good cash flow from worrying about the all mighty bottom dollar. The previous companies that I worked for had employees going back to when they were privately held companies and each time they said quality and services went downhill after going public because shareholders don't usually care about great products or service, they just care about the money. Thank you Dane for keeping Sonic.net a private company. I hope that it stays that way forever.

The only other concern that I would have is when Dane decides to retire. I have seen it before as well. Once the founder of a company leaves, the "heart" and vision behind everything is gone or in some way changed (usually for the worse). I am certain that whoever you choose to take over the reigns will have your same vision that you do. In the end, I just want to say thank you Dane for having such a great company!
by wa2ibm » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:32 am
+1
by virtualmike » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:15 am
mythgard wrote:... when Dane decides to retire...
Only Dane knows his plans for retirement (and I'm not suggesting he tell us). However, I've known more than one small business where the owner who built it with his heart and soul remained as owner after "retirement," even though he was not managing on a day-to-day basis. That maintained continuity.

Otherwise, I'm hoping that by the time Dane retires, I will be retired, and not local to the West Coast. :mrgreen:
by dane » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:14 am
I just read "In-N-Out Burger", a book about the family owned burger chain. No franchising, no outside money, and one simple product done well. And, a very good transition from the first to second generation. (The third: not so much, but remains to be seen the outcome.)

I'm still just a "kid" (at 39), no plans to quit anytime soon!

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bobrk » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:03 pm
Thanks, Dane, for mentioning In-N-Out. Now I want a Single Cheese Animal Style with Chilis.
by kenlui » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:50 pm
I agree with mythgard & virtualmike. Once the founders leave, many who remain don't either have the drive nor the ability to keep the flame with the same concentration/intensity. May Sonic's future remain bright and continue to "fight for the users."
by dane » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:47 pm
Chilis? They have chilis??
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bobrk » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:04 pm
YES! I saw it somewhere recently, and now I can't eat them without. They're pepperoncini, chopped up. So good.
13 posts Page 1 of 2