How to configure My Cloud for Pace 5268AC

General discussions and other topics.
75 posts Page 4 of 8
by BrianW » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:10 pm
adame wrote:
BrianW wrote:Okay, so it dawned on me that everyone says the problem is auto negotiation, but the command I was running didn't seem to be doing anything to set that attribute.
Thanks for the correction. I've edited my original post to include that.
After plugging the WD drive back in to the router it now links(blue light) and I can access the drive again via my computer!!! :-)
I wonder if I can rerun the command with 100 as the speed and improve performance? Any thoughts?
You should be able to. See if 100 full duplex works.

I've checked in with Pace on the status of the bug, and they are still waiting on their vendor to finish rewriting the necessary driver to fix this. I'm sorry for the length of the delay fixing this.
Adam, thanks for the update on the bug fix, hopefully they'll get it worked out soon so others don't have to deal with this mess! :-)

I SSH'd back in and ran the config for 100 full autoneg off and it was successful per the new ethtool eth0 output! :-)
So this is the new command I issued.

ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off

I've seen it mentioned in other threads that this setting might get reset after a power cycle. I haven' tried it yet to test that out. Do you happen to know if that's the case? If not I'll find out by chance or by choice and let everyone know! :-)

B.
by Guest Steve » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:16 am
I have a similar problem with my ATT&T PACE 5031 NV router and WD My Cloud. I can see the Cloud on my PC and it has a blue light. However, it is not available to any other device like my Samsung TV, Yahama receiver or cell phone. Would this change to the Cloud command via SSH work in my case as well? Thanks.
by BrianW » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:32 pm
Guest Steve wrote:I have a similar problem with my ATT&T PACE 5031 NV router and WD My Cloud. I can see the Cloud on my PC and it has a blue light. However, it is not available to any other device like my Samsung TV, Yahama receiver or cell phone. Would this change to the Cloud command via SSH work in my case as well? Thanks.
You mean you can only see the drive when connected directly to your PC directly via ethernet? Or you can also see it when attached to the router, but only on your PC? Mine only showed a blue light when connected directly to a PC and never when connected to the router until I SSH'd and ran the command in my prev comment.

B.
by Sonic Customer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:46 pm
Is any update to the Pace 5268AC router coming from PACE (or some fix from Western Digital) ?

I have it working by turning off auto negotiation for the time being. But it's nowhere as fast as it should be, since I'm not able to get the 1 gbps bandwidth.

For Christ's sake, I barely get ~2/3 MB/s file transfer from the local WDCloud (so would be 16 mbps at best). And my internet is 1 gbps.
by adame » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:54 am
Sonic Customer wrote:Is any update to the Pace 5268AC router coming from PACE (or some fix from Western Digital) ?

I have it working by turning off auto negotiation for the time being. But it's nowhere as fast as it should be, since I'm not able to get the 1 gbps bandwidth.
The update is that Pace is still waiting for an updated driver from Broadcom to fix the issue negotiating at gigabit speed. We've been working with Pace to communicate with Broadcom on this issue every week and ensure Broadcom stays aware that this is a priority issue for our customers.
For Christ's sake, I barely get ~2/3 MB/s file transfer from the local WDCloud (so would be 16 mbps at best). And my internet is 1 gbps.
If you manually set the speed in the MyCloud from 10BaseT to 100BaseT that should improve the issue while we wait for a patch.
Adam Martinetti
Customer Experience Manager
Sonic.
by Guest » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:21 pm
I noticed this thread is old but if anyone is still having this problem I have a solution. I also had the same problem. You need a UPNP router which the Pace is not. I solved the problem by adding a network hub I had and connected the WD drive and computer to the hub and the hub to the router. Problem solved. You can buy a network switch for less than $40.
by Sonic Customer » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:30 pm
I noticed this thread is old but if anyone is still having this problem I have a solution. I also had the same problem. You need a UPNP router which the Pace is not. I solved the problem by adding a network hub I had and connected the WD drive and computer to the hub and the hub to the router. Problem solved. You can buy a network switch for less than $40.
Is the problem UPNP or is it autonegotiation incompatibility between WDMYCLOUD and the pace router? I thought that it was the latter.

I thought about purchasing a 5 port gigabit switch for $20. But that seems a bit wasteful considering that a fix is in the works.
by adame » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:09 pm
Sonic Customer wrote:Is the problem UPNP or is it autonegotiation incompatibility between WDMYCLOUD and the pace router? I thought that it was the latter.

I thought about purchasing a 5 port gigabit switch for $20. But that seems a bit wasteful considering that a fix is in the works.
The problem is an autonegotiation incompatibility. Broadcom updated us again today, and they found a discrepancy in the behavior Broadcom tested in the lab versus what they're seeing in the field. They've estimated optimistically they might be able to provide a fix to us in a week, which means if everything goes exactly right we'd be deploying it in two. Hopeful news!
Adam Martinetti
Sonic.
by BrianW » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:46 am
adame wrote:The problem is an autonegotiation incompatibility. Broadcom updated us again today, and they found a discrepancy in the behavior Broadcom tested in the lab versus what they're seeing in the field. They've estimated optimistically they might be able to provide a fix to us in a week, which means if everything goes exactly right we'd be deploying it in two. Hopeful news!
Adam, Thanks for the update and it sounds hopeful. :-) It is still somewhat troubling that it's been around 6 months since people started reporting this issue.

How will the updates be made available once completed and tested? Wondering if it's going to be automagic or if users will have to manually pull down and process the update. I'll assume that installing the update will remove everyone's manual modifications?

Thanks,
B.
by adame » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:03 am
BrianW wrote: Adam, Thanks for the update and it sounds hopeful. :-) It is still somewhat troubling that it's been around 6 months since people started reporting this issue.
I agree, the turnaround time has been too long. With the Pace-Arris merger sorting itself out, we expect more resources to be available for bugs like this one, and turn-around times for bugs like this should decrease.
How will the updates be made available once completed and tested? Wondering if it's going to be automagic or if users will have to manually pull down and process the update. I'll assume that installing the update will remove everyone's manual modifications?
We'll automatically push the firmware to your 5268 that will allow it to auto-negotiate correctly, first to employees (to double-check the upgrade process we tested in QA works as expected), then to customers in gradually larger groups. We'll make sure it preserves your manual modifications. That's a must for any automatic update.
Adam Martinetti
Sonic.
75 posts Page 4 of 8