htaccess / php 5.3 issue

General discussions and other topics.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by sbucy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:08 pm
I've just installed Joomla 1.7 on our server. When I go to setup and configure, I get the following message:

Your host needs to use PHP 5.2.4 or higher to run Joomla 1.7

I was directed to the following wiki entry: https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Php5, which basically says:

.htaccess

To have the Sonic.net shared web cluster interpret .php files using PHP 5, a .htaccess directive must be issued. Create a text file named ".htaccess" with the following contents:If you want to use PHP 5.3:

Action php-cgi /cgi-bin/php53
AddHandler php-cgi .php

Place the .htaccess file into your site's main directory (most frequently /home/WWW_pages/username/ or /home/WWW_pages/username/example.com)

After following these directions, I still get the same message.

I also called and talked to a tech at Sonic.net and was told that I needed to either put the .htaccess file in the Joomla subdirectory to work correctly, or add the 2 lines to the existing .htaccess file in the Joomla sibdirectory. I've tried both and still get the same message.

If anyone has any helpful info that might lead me closer to a solution with this, I'd really appreciate your input and help. Thank you.
by augie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:44 pm
Are you sure you put it in the correct place? Can you provide a full path to your Joomla install? I see a directory named "joomla" with a htaccess.txt but not a ".htaccess".
by sbucy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:00 pm
Thank you for the quick reply.

The wiki entry told me to put the file here: /home/WWW_pages/username/
The tech I spoke with said to put the file directly in the Joomla subdirectory.

I've tried both and the results were the same. I just uploaded the file into the Joomla subdirectory but still get the same message.

To answer your question, not only am I not sure I have the file in the right place, I'm also still confused about how the directory is setup. The tech I spoke with yesterday explained a bit about the alias folders and files, but not enough for me to get a firm grip.

Thanks again for your help with this.
by jleake » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:36 pm
First, make sure the file is named ".htaccess" not "htaccess.txt" -- it won't work otherwise.

My experience with .htaccess files is pretty limited, but I think it should work in either your home directory or your joomla directory.
Juliana L.
Customer Support, Sonic.net, Inc.
by sbucy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:50 pm
Thank you for the post, Juliana. Correctly named file is in the correct folder now and all seems to be working correctly. Thanks again.
5 posts Page 1 of 1